Bowfishing

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by LEROYDOZOIS, May 10, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    does anyone bow fish with a regular recurve and some regular arrows modified slighly

2. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Using a recurve is great for bow fishing since it's instictive shooting anyway. The only down side I have seen is they a longer than a compund (so harder to use in a tight spot) and I like using the modern bow fishing accessories (wheel arrow rest, good bow reel) which some "traditional" style recurves do not have the mounts to accept.

I would not recommend using a modified standard arrrow for bow fishing, the stresses on the arrow are much greater and the fiberglass fishing arrows are pretty cheap.

Good luck, it's a blast.

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a hard time using a recurve,maybe because mine is puling at 60 pounds so when a carp or gar is taking his sweet time I can't hold it like I can hold my compound.

4. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    I have used a 45 lb. recurve for years with the fiberglass arrows and have no complaints. My compound is too heavy and wears me out after a few hours. The name of the game is find out what works for you and go for it. Pat Muckelroy

5. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Whatever bow you use you will be holding it up for hours at a time. This is opposed to bow hunting where you may support the bow's weight for a few minutes then put it back in the bow rest. Also when we bow fish we often shot hundreds of times. It is a lot like target shooting for the amount of times you draw.
    Personally I like the lightest compound I can find. One that has the least hold back weight because you often have to wait for the shot you want.

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i get broadheads and peal off the viens. then tie some industrial string to it

i dont no what the pull of my bow is

its a ben pearson 7020

7. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i went bowfishing for carp last summer. My friends dad had a recurve and was a terrific shot with it. He shot more carp than everyone put together. Not sure what bow it was but it was a 45lb draw. I was using a 45 compound and didnt hit ANYTHING