Bowfishing

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by clintonhawg1, Mar 31, 2007.

1. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Does anyone do the bowfishing thing for carp on this site i havent read anything on it.

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I did for years but I haven't for a couple of years I am really wanting to get into it. I went to look at a reel boy 165 bucks for a good one and the other one was just a spool set up. Don't know but I will be stickin a few this summer for sure.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    yea it seems like there are:big_smile: I remember some post last yr. on bow fishing

4. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I am also trying to get into it, i got the bows, reels, and the boat but just dont know much about it.

5. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Yeah...I love bowfishing. I use a older browning bow with AMS reel, and muzzy fish points. I shoot many commons, bigheads, silver, grass carp, buffalo, short and longnose gar. We usually walk the banks of small rivers that flow into the Missouri river but plan on using my boat more this year. Good luck its addictive.

6. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    ive been known to pop a few in our flooded creeks....carp and good gator gar..me and a buddy of mine shot a 7 footer bout 4 years ago out of a creek that was out of its banks

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ive been wanting to get into bowfishing....

but i need to get some $$ up.... but i plan on buying a AMS kit with Everything....

hopefully get some carp .... freeze em and use em for bait for coons and what not

Jeff

8. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    LOVE IT!!!
    Cant wait for the carp spawn,and put on the stalk in the shallows.:cool2:

9. Ripclear

Ripclear New Member

State:
    warrensburg, mo
    I get a lot of carp at eye level with a spear gun

10. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    ive seen people do it on t.v. and they do it for them i think asian carp.

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You'll shoot your eye out!:roll_eyes:

12. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I started bowfishing a couple years back and am hooked. It is a blast! A few of us have gotten together and pooled resources and boats etc to get enough gear. That way everyone doesn't have to own everything. (I pooled my passion and they pooled their resources):roll_eyes: . My opinion is buy a old recurve (35# or more) at a garage sale and put a Retriever on it. I have shot compounds, Oneidas, and recurves and I strongly prefer the recurves. MUCH lighter for one. After carrying a bow in the "ready" position all night your back will thank you. The only way I could see a compound being better would be if you are after a gator or something with a tough hide, or if you are stalking on foot and need the extra distance. If you are going to shoot a compound consider a stabilizer mounted reel. You will have more line capacity for longer shots.

We do mostly snap shooting from a slow moving boat so quick instinctive shots are the norm. Spray and pray is what we say! I will attach a few photos of the boat we built last year. This boat belongs to a friend who also happens to be a BOC bro (who shall remain nameless, but his initials are Angler Management). We still have a few bugs to work out. We are currently building a removable platform for another friends jon boat. I will also attach a few fish pictures. We are going to start making cut bait from our trips and see how it works this year, so maybe we can kill 2 fish with one stone.

At any rate if you get a taste of it you'll never be the same.

Attached Files:

13. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    A few more pics.....

Attached Files:

14. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Love that boat.
    Boat

15. bullet

bullet New Member

State:
    alabama
    they kill alot of fish on guntersville, most guys use airboats and fan boats

16. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    I spend a couple nights a week bowfishing. It's great stuff! here's a couple bigheads and a nice grass carp from this summer

Attached Files:

17. Pat Kelly

Pat Kelly New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Mainly fish carp hook n line for many years but bought 2 bows this year...really "green" to this but practice makes perfect:smile2: