Bowfishing

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by whiskers, Oct 25, 2005.

1. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    Does anyone like to bowfish? If so you can discuss it in this thread! LOL

2. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I have bowfished for carp before but it wasn't much fun. Most of the thrill of fishing is in the fight.

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I bowfish alot along with catfishing. Notice below I'm the State rep. for Ohio in the Bowfishing Assn of America. What is it you would like to know?

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i am a avid bow fisher down here in tn during the summer i was trying to get a bowfishing tournament going but not to many people do it around here

DUSTY
    U.S.M.C.ALUMNI
    COURAGE = DOING THE RIGHT THING WHEN NO ONE IS LOOKING

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    You can get one up. Just get on the BAA web site and see who the reps. are for your area.

6. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I am about to get back into it. Just bought a Sidekick II compound bow on Ebay recently (for $20.00) to set up for bowfishing. I was looking for a recurve but ended up winning this auction unexpectedly. I grew up bowfishing and its a blast.

7. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    I dont know if anyone here knows this but where can I bowfish in colorado near longmont or in longmont?

8. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Hey Michael, bowfishing for carp is allowed at Barbour Ponds State Park. The webpage doesn't say much other than that, but you can read more or get directions at this link: http://denver.citysearch.com/profile/11343797/

Hope this helps you out. I lived in Colorado Springs for a few years but never did any bowfishing in while there. I believe Cataholic used to live in that area too, maybe longer than me and he may know more about Longmont than I do as I never spent much time there, mostly just driving through the area a few times.

9. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    Willisjj:
    That helps me more than you know!!!

10. willisjj

willisjj Guest

No problem Michael. It took a little looking but at least I found something for you. I was sitting a work doing nothing anyway so it helped me pass the time! Talk to you later..........Jeremy

11. moore42420

moore42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY
    Bluecatnut I know that there are several bowfishing tournaments at LBL which is not that far from you. Is the Bowfishing very good around the Clarksville area. I know that on LBL there are alot of nice Carp, and gar. I would say that I go all over KY throughout the summer here and probably would not put it past me to drive down that way to shoot a few also. I know that there are several clubs around LBL that hald several shoots a year and one that mainly hold shoots on the OH but there are a few people that come up from TN to shoot them also.

12. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    I love bowfishing it's a lot of fun. I go out at night with a few buddies and a lot of lights and bust some monster gar and occasionally a few carp and grass carp. It's a differnet kind of fight when you stick a big fish, and there aint nothing like havin to bust the floats out on a big gator gar!

13. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    If you have access to a smoker try a cajun spice brine and smoke those carp.I used to bury them till a friend of mine showed me how good they are this way.Do'nt bury any anymore.Some of the best tasting fish I've ever eaten.Just fillet them and brine for 24 hours.Give em' a cold smoke w/hickory or apple chips.
    Bill

14. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    dont know if i could eat some if the carp i get after i finally get them in.....nothin but holes lol.

15. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    yea bowfishing looks like fun i was gonna get a rig for my bow but never came around to it

16. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I've bowfished for years and have done good at times. Big Gar are a blast using head lamps and floats with rod and reels attached to arrow. Yes I also have used a recurve in the 40lb. class and compounds up to 60 lbs. You don't want to go to high in weight though, because the arrow will blast through the fish. I have searched for the really large gar's but have yet to bust the 100 lb. mark. I know there are some gar out there over 200lbs. Last year I saw a dead gar washed up after high water and that bugger must of went very close to 150 to 170 lbs. So the search goes on.....and it's fun too!

17. bowtech29

bowtech29 New Member

State:
    TN
    I agree bowfishing is excellent practice for deer season. My best kill yet is a 42 lb flathead out of Santee Cooper. A bonus on any night of carp and gar.

18. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I had this crazy idea the other day about bowfishing for catfish. My idea is to string a bunch of bait onto some nylon cord, tie it a stick and put in shallow water along the river bank so the cats will have to come close to the surface to feed. When you hear a fish feeding on the bait you get a buddy to spotlight them while you shoot. The same spotlighing technique worked great for beavers and coons. I know, It's a crazy idea. :p

19. bowtech29

bowtech29 New Member

State:
    TN
    That probably would work but nature does is kind of the same way for you. If you get on a nice big flat where you have goood bluegill bedding activity and slower spot light your way through there you are sure to see a few good flatheads.

20. flannelman

flannelman New Member

has anyone ever used those arrow shootint slingshots for bow fishing? i was intrested in making one and think i have figured out how. they look like they could be used and be pretty affective