Bowfishing

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by kat buster, Mar 25, 2006.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Does any body bowfish for gar? Does any body know what bowfishing is?

2. Kevin

Kevin New Member

State:
    NE Kansas
    i just bought a pse kingfisher for bow fishing havent tried it out yet

3. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I was looking at the kingfisher in Cabelas, because i really need a new bowfishing bow. Where did you get yours and how much.

4. Kevin

Kevin New Member

State:
    NE Kansas
    i bought it a cabels in kansas city it was about 140. its my firat one and i havnt gone yet but i cant wait. can you give me any tips like what water temputure the carp spawn or any other little thing i should know
    thanks kevin

5. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    If its as dry there as it is here in SEK, you should be able to see them just fine. I think they start spawning anytime now. I saw some flipping out of the creek by our house the other day. I want to try it too. Looks like fun:)

6. Kevin

Kevin New Member

State:
    NE Kansas
    onlyone im in north east kansas and were pretty wet right now everything is at the regurl leval or a little above thanks

7. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive never done much bowfishing, my buddies are into it quite a bit and I have been with them a few times. I have never actually shot, but I think it would be pretty cool to try!

8. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    You can learn alot about bowfishing at bowfishusa.com.

9. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    If you want to get in to bowfishing www.sullysbowfishing.com has all of the gear you will ever need. They also have a great photo gallery.

10. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cant you only shoot "trash fish"? I was just wondering I didnt think the laws allowed you to shoot bass, catfish, etc. for example. Just thinks like gar, drum, carp, etc.? I was just curious about this. Seems like it could be a blast and I know that some people really get into it and have some elaborate setups.

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I am a bowhunter and would love to try bowfishing. Is it a device that you add to your regular hunting bow?

12. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hey copycat
    I would suggest using two different bows. You would have to use different seat, and remove sites or change sites. I use a Hoyt Trycon for bow hunting, it is a compound. For bow fishing I use a TQ Singray, recommended by our bow shop.(that is a full time bow shop, all they do). It is a recurve, and i wanted to shoot both. If you are not familiar with a recurve dont worry about it. You will get all the practice u want while bow fishing. And some dam big fish to. You can go to TQ's website if you wish.
    TQ is a great inexpensive family owned business and excellant quality bows. Best reel I have ever come accross would probably be the Zebco Brute, but they are no longer produced and hard to come by. I am using a 1992 vintage zebco 888 and it works great. A lot of guys also use the Zebco 808. It si inexpensive but it is not as heavy duty. I you are just learning you might want to, for safety reasons, use 40lb test mono. Much better to loose a $15.00 arrow than have it come back at your face if you forget to hit your release. And you will.
    Tight Lines
    Danny J

13. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Bow fishing is a blast. pick up a cheap bow at a yard sale and get it setup, if there are fish you will have a good time!!!

Attached Files:

14. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have two bowfishing bows, one is an older Ben Pearson recurve at 52 lbs. I have a AMS retriever reel on it (200 lb. line) with a fiberglass arrow tipped with a Muzzy fish point. The arrow is equiped with a ams safety slide system , which keeps the line out in front of the bow. I do shoot off the shelf with that bow. My other bow is a PSE Kingfisher take down recurve bow at 50 lbs. It also has a AMS retriever reel with a dovetail system to remove it off the bow for tranport and a fiberglass arrow with a Muzzy fish point and safety slides. I have a Dream rest on it made by F&D Archery. I have no-glove on both strings on the bows, so there is no need for a finger tab or release. Also very easy on the fingers. I don't have sights on these bows, but for some that need a pin to sight with. Just add it to the bow and go. Good Luck to all of you. If you need help with bow set up just drop me a line.
    My boat is a Lowe 1648 Big Jon boat. I ordered from the factory with a floor in it and a live well. I put ten rod holders in it and when I go after catfish I use camping chairs that set up in the front and rear of the boat and any way you face you have rod holders in front of you. It has a small deck built into it, but I'm building an alum. deck that will mount on thr front gunnels. It will be about 8"+ above the gunnels and going to put 6- 500 watt lights around the deck. The lights will be powered by a 5250 watt genny. I have a Nissan 9.9 motor on it, but I did some work on it and it's a 15 hp. now. I'm going to try to get some pictures of it as I'm building it. I hope to take a few of you out in it to stick a few pigs.;)
    I try to get kids involved so they can see how fun it can be. The Bowfishing Assn. of America, I'm the State Rep. for Ohio. If you need anything about bowfishing or maybe hook up and go just let me know.

15. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Yeah post some pics would love to see them!!:)

16. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I got the deck on now , I'll try to get pics of it. It's not painted right now. I haven't done none of the light work to it yet. But I did take it out to Buckeye last night and it is great. Got to make a few adjustments and good to go.

17. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I went out last knight, to try out our knew boat and trolling motor. It worked out perfectly. There were a punch of big carp and a few gar. Neither me or my dad could hit any thing. If only I could shoot better.:eek:

18. jkesler

jkesler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Does anyone here ever do any bow fishing in SC?

19. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    There is lots of guys that bowfish in SC. Look on the bowfishusa.com.