Bowfishing: What to do with bagged fish

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Brother Dave, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Brother Dave

Brother Dave New Member

State:
    Williamsburg Io
    Hi guys,
    After a 20 yr break, I have taken up bowfishing again. It is a sport that is not real popular here in Iowa, but in public waterways & campgrounds by waterways it always draws a crowd!
    After the 2008 floods, the Des Moines river has taken a huge hit. Below the Red Rock Dam, into the Des Moines, all the vegitation has really taken a hit. The flood wiped it out, the asain and common carp are cleaning out whats growing, and the gar are attacking all the nests. The demand for bowfishing is awesome.
    Anyway, my question is, as I am getting ready for warm weather and water, is what to do with the fish you bag.
    Back in Arkansas, you just left them on the bank, for the possums and buzzards. But now here in Iowa, the is a frowned upon practice. So what do you guys do with the fish?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks and God loves you,
    Brother Dave
    Philippans 2.4
    "Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

2. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    take them home ,put them in the freezer and use them as cut bait....:wink:

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If you know anybody that has a garden,fish make really good fertilizer.

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Also make excellent dog and cat food probably could even feed it to the hogs.

There are recipes on the web about using carp and other fish to make home made dog food that's very high in protein.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i am planing on doing the same thing i am going to use mine as cut bait and in the garden

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They will make the garden grow,,,,,in KY they have tournaments for bow fishing,,,,,you need to really make a sport of it..

7. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    You could eat some of them. I have never tried Gar or any carp but people say if prepaired correctly that they are good. You could find recipes and how to prepair it on the net.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome Dave from another Arkansas transplant. When i bowfished, we gave the carp to a family of black folks i knew. They pressure cooked them and took everything we offered.Fertilizer is also a good use. If they don't get the problem in check somehow, soon all the river will have in it is carp.:angry:

9. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    And giant blues that feed on them. OH BOY! OH BOY!:smile2:

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Grind em up in a old meat grinder then pack in mesh bags and freeze use for chum when out fishen for cats.

11. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I usually don't shoot Gar those armor plated suckers are too hard on my gear, so my response will be limited to Common Carp, Grass Carp and Buffalo. When I first started Bowfishing I wrestled with the moral and ethical dilemma of what to do with the fish. Personally I don't like killing anything just for my own pleasure, so I strived to find a use for the fish. As already stated Cut bait, chum or garden fertilizer are good options,....but more importantly there are people that will and do eat them. If you are willing to take the extra step of taking the fish home cleaning, bagging and freezing them, you'll find many people willing to take them. The very best option that I have found ( this takes some leg work) is to donate them to food pantries, if your state allows this. In 1993 during the big flood I donated right at 2000 lbs of dressed fish to pantries,......it feels good to enjoy yourself and know that your helping people.

12. Asphalt_Cowboy88

Asphalt_Cowboy88 New Member

State:
    Emporia KS
    cut it up, run a hook through it, toss it in the garden, feed the animals......yup..

13. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have always just thrown them back in the lake for fish food. I will have to think about that now. I know one thing. I won't be cleaning them. The grinding thing sounds pretty good. I have not had much luck with carp for bait. I don't know anyone that eats them.