Bowfishing reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catmaster, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    What is the best reel to put on your bow for bow fishing? I would probably go for more carp and big gar. I got a new bow for hunting deer and I wanted to use my bow that shoots aluminum arrows.

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Zebco 808 has been the old standby for bowfishing for years now. The Shakespeare Synergy 20 is getting to be real popular. Then there's the AMS Bowfishing Retriever Reel.
    I've used the Zebco and the Synergy. I haven't used the AMS retriever yet, I'm thinking that it might be the next bow reel I get.
    The 808 I had, was a 90 model, did a great job and had steel pick up pins.
    From what I've heard, the new 808s have plastic pick up pins, and that ain't good
    The Synergy, was a 93 model. did a great and had the steel pick up pins.
    I tore it up, by using the wrong type of line for bowfishing. trotline line instead of bowfishing line. I would use it again.
    Will

3. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    The AMS is by the best one out there.

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    AMS hands down, made just for bow fishing and is perfect .

5. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Like Will, I've used the 808 for many years, but from what you all say. I'm gonna look serious at the AMS for my next one.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The Zebco 808 is a good bowfishing reel.

7. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I use an 808 bowfishing reel. It works fine for me. I also have a Synergy as a backup. Did I understand you as wanting to use Alm. arrows for bowfishing?? Never heard of that. I think they are too light for shooting through water. Sorry if I misunderstood what you are saying.

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Just picked up my replacement reel. I went ahead and decided for the Zebco Bowfishing 808. Read about it and I was wrong about the pickup pins, they're ceramic instead of plastic. I'll try and post a report sometime in the next few weeks.
    Will