Bowfishing for Flatheads?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by arkrivercatman, Aug 4, 2008.

1. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I came across this video on You Tube and was curious if this is legal anywhere? I would hope not. Atleast with most "alternative methods" there is a chance to have a choice to CPR. This is just plain killing them and it appears as they are doing it for sport. I fail to see the "sport". Maybe this is common in some places in the US, I dont know. I have only heard about bow fishin for carp and gar or rough fish. What are your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gmaOG_5OX4

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    SON OF A %$#@%$@$%$ *&%%#$$# *&&^$^%#$$#$#%$#@%$#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know how to express how that video just made me feel... ticks me off!!!!!!!!!!!

3. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    There was an article in this years "In-Fisherman Catfish Insider" titled Flathead Catfish The Evil and the Good" pg 10. According to that article some rivers have been taken over by flatheads and are a nuisance fish. They were introduced into rivers in Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina and seem to be taking over. So I think they are taking efforts to erradicate them. In Columbus county North Carolina with a fishing license and a $10 special shocking device anglers can go and shock flatheads, on the Cape Fear River. I sure would like to get down there and catch some before they shock them all.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I personally would not shoot Flatheads with a bow. I release 100%. However in many states catfish are considered rough fish and they are legal to shoot with bows. What a waste!!!!!:angry:

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Well here in Kentucky it's legal, there is a 5 fish limit for catfish taken with a bow.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    here in illinois their more fished than bass, its the biggest sport fish around my area besides musky, now in marland its considerd as bad as carp

7. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Ask the guys in the Carp thread if it bothers them........
    Ask the guys in the gar thread if it bothers them..........
    Hell I've even read one fellow say he was gonna punch some guy in the face for throwing bowfin (which devestate anything that moves) up on the bank....This is the BOC, but what other than our entusiasm and pursuit of catfish makes it ok to for one species and not another?
    Is it any less sporting than limblining or trotlining, not to me.
    I bowfish carp tourneys every year ,none of the meat is wasted, it is cooked up for the daring and the rest goes to animal food processing. I've seen guys snap shoot a 32 yard shot on a 4-6 inches around. gar.
    Is it difficult to shoot a cat in a spot light 5 ft away, no, but meat hunters are meat hunters bro, they are just hunting your choice of meat.
    Do you get pissed when your buddy shows you a picture of his 14 point buck because took the genes out of the gene pool. There is a fine line between what is right and what is sporting. I advocate CPR. Would I go on a trip bowhunt some cats..........yeah. To me it's like bow or gun hunting everything else. I'm not shooting every thing that walks by. Practice sellective harvest. Is it a challenge for me to make a 20yd shot with my bow, or an 80yd shot with my gun, no not really, but, if you asked me is deer hunting sporting you'd get a hell yeah, the shot is the easy part. Eat what you shoot or don't eat it. I don't know if cosidering any fish a rough fish to be killed in uncontrolled numbers is ok.
    I am not trying to start any disputes, just sounding off woth my thoughts.
    Like the man asked for.

Richard

8. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I believe I that footage on a show as a two fer trip. Alligator gar by day, cats by night.

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Eat what you shoot or don't eat it. (I ment or don't shoot it).

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I was just wondering. Dang!!:wink::smile2: Where I am from it is not very common and in my state it is illegal. I have never really heard of people targeting cats with this method. I was just curious. I dont hunt or have very many friends that do. Although I have one who is an old timer and anymore he hunts with a camera. Thats cpr for huntin.:smile2: I agree that if you are going to shoot it, eat it. There is no lettin em go. I wasnt tryin to offend anyone, just curious. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    kyle i knew what you meant i think
    i also had never heard of it and was confused by the video but if it legal what do you do
    i for one cant complain because i use alternative methods myself :wink:
    i didnt take offence fish on brotha:tounge_out:

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    you are right, as long as theirs no meat wasted, selectiv harvest,but drum, or asian carp kill them all,

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont know bout there but in the state of arkansas you get cought doing that and you going to jail.by the same token you can put on an aqua lung and spear them all day long.go figure.

14. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    thats horrible.

15. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    To me it is a ethical thing!! I Fish and I Hunt( Rifles, Pistols and Bow) and Target Shoot!! So I would think if they were to eat or give the fish to someone who will eat it that it is 100%Fine with me!!! BUT If they are going to take a pic and then throw it up on the bank to rot,

THEN IT IS A HUGE PROBLEM!!!!!!!

I feel that way about all hunting and fishing though! I am even on the fence about Bow fishing Gar, Drum and Carp too!! I whole heartedly understand the carp where they are destroying waterways and native fish populations, but in My area there aren't a whole lot of carp, and they are fun as heck to fish for!! They fight like a D9 Dozer can pull!!!! :crazy::0a23:And I either let them go or offer them to anyone who is around!

As for Drum ( Black Drum) They are native here, and make good bait and medium size ones are good to eat, IF you FILLET them and get all of the bones out! I had them for the first time at a fish fry when we were eating White Bass!! My Buddy had some mixed in and NO ONE COULD TELL!!!! NO B.S.!!

Gar are the same thing they are native here, and they are a Ancient species too! I haven't eaten one yet, but that same Buddy that mixed in the Drum has eaten Alligator Gar, and he cleans them like you do a Muskie, or take the back straps out of a deer! He takes the meat along each side of the Back , and off of the top of the ribs, and he says it is pretty good but it has a little different texture. Kind of like Crab Legs.

Yes they do Tick-Me-Off when I am Crappie fishing, but they sure do fight though!!!!! :eek:oooh::big_smile:

The only thing I hunt and kill AND DON'T use the meat is in the case of Varmints and non Native species that are harming the Native Animals!! Like at my Dads Farm the Coyotes are WAY WAY WAY Over Populated, and they are killing off A LOT of cattle, sheep, goats, and Farm Animals!! Now my Son and I hunt for them as much as we can!!! But I do try to find someone who wants the Hide! I would love to Tan one out, as they are VERY BEAUTIFUL around there, but just don't have the knowledge or the equipment to do so! But when the populations are in check they are fine to be there, as they are some of the BEST MOUSE KILLERS AROUND!! But they are so bad in Navarro County the state has even hired pro trappers and hunters!

So everything has it's purpose as long as it is in check! And this is my 2 cents about it all, and you can do with it what you would like! But Arkrivercatman, asked what WE THOUGHT, so I thought I would give my opinion! So I hope everyone will understand my points, and again there is no Flaming going on here AT ALL!!

Take Care Everyone and keep your HOOKS WET!!!:wink:
    Andy

16. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

I appologize if that souned like a rant. I have been playing Mr. Mom for quite a while to my 5 year old autistic son and two and a half year old daughter. So when I get the chance for conversation it just comes out.
    I do believe all that I said, but, wasn't trying to lecture anybody. LOL Who the heck am I anyway? Just stating one man's opinion.

Richard

17. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    IMO i have nothing agianst it really. Would I do it? No id rather fight them with a rod. I also belive someone said they are almost a pest in those waters? If so I can understand this. What suprises me is they got that close to em in a boat with that light.:confused2:

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bowhunting cats is legal in SC, and some folks are pretty good at it. Personally, I don't like it for the reasons already mentioned (no CPR, seems like some guys get way more than their share of the cats that way - I have seen posts on local web sites here in SC of guys that shot hundreds of pounds of flatheads in a single night). I have also seen posts of guys that shot a bunch of grass carp and bragged about killing them and then letting them rot. (Since grass carp are stocked to control nuisance weeds, the web site pulled their pics pretty quick and they got some sh*$ over that one.)

Again, I think it's a case of a few jerks giving the whole business a bad name.

And yes, it's partly jealousy. When I catch a big flathead I choose to release it, so it's still there for me or for someone else to enjoy again. When these guys shoot a fish, it's gone forever.

I guess what it boils down to is that to me the flahead is a great game fish, and I hate to see them taken like that. If somebody went out and tried bowhunting a bunch of largemouth bass, what do you think would happen? I'm not saying we should turn into a bunch of bassholes, but why is one fish worthy of the respect and catfish aren't? Somebody mentioned deer hunting: there are lots of ethical limits on deer hunting - jacklighting will get you in deep trouble, most places think baiting is unethical (SC is an exception there, too), etc. SO maybe it's not unreasonable to have ethical limits on ways to take fish, too. If not, then pass out the dynamite and the rotenone!

The reality of it is that there are only a few places where it's possible to shoot flatheads. They have to be up in pretty darn shallow very clear water, and at least around here that is not real common.

19. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    I am just thankful dynamite fishing is illegal, if it is legal I don't have to like it or do it, but I was taught not to be wasteful.:angry:

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    To each his own, I guess. Its not for me! I CPR all Big Flatheads. I had rather fight them on a rod & reel and then let them go! I do hunt deer , turkeys and just about anything else that has a season. I always keep and harvest my kills for the table. Never taking more than I have need for. Two deer per year, 2 turkeys and so on and so on. I keep smaller channelcats and Blues for the table. I think there is a big difference in setting the hook and pulling the trigger however. You cant call back a bullet. But you can take out the hook and let the fish live another day.:eek:oooh: