Bowfishing for cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by fish_head, May 8, 2008.

1. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I saw a post on the MS DFWP forum that said they were working a petition to let folks bowfish for catfish. I don't like that, what do you all think?

2. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I dont like it either,, but I bet MS officials makes bowfishing for catfish legal,,they dont care about catfish,,never have,, and they also have dropped the size limits on flatheads to zero,, the regulations on catfishing in MS are a bunch of bull to me,,but I only know about 6 people that would stand up for better catfish regulations and thats not gonna do any good,, just my honest opinion..............

3. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Find out who we need to write to voice our concerns about this issue! I assure you we can light up the phone lines and fill up the mail box to let them know how cat fishermen really feel about it!:wink:

4. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Are you the same TonyJr that is on the MDFWP forum? I have seen some posts on there with the same "handle" . I will see what I can find out if I get time. Right now I am just hoping I can get out with my sons and catch some cats for Father's Day. I haven't done as well this year, the catfish are not where they were last year.....

5. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Yep, that's I! :wink:

6. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    It was on the MDFWP website that I saw it. I haven't seen the thread but I will look some more. It was asking what the status was on their petition to bowfish cats. They deleted my reply...:angry:

7. marksgmc03

marksgmc03 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I am new to this forum. i live in n. miss. I would like to comment on bowfishing for cats. I have been bowfishing for about 17 years only gar ,carp,and recently silver or big head carp. I know that in arkansas you can bowfish for cats but it is regulated to i think 2 fish per 24 hour period. I myself have never arrowed a cat and never will. if it does come to pass in miss. hopefully it will be regulated. I believe if you shoot anything you should be prepared to eat it. Come to think of it i have only seen afew cats while bowfishing over the years only when the waters are very low. i m with yall i see no reason for it when you could have a lot more enjoyment from hooking a big cat in a current with 20lb. line and the fight is on then. before i go does anyone know when the shad spawn in the butla spillway. I know the lake has been very high and the outlet is running pretty deep. thanks for your time and info. good luck yall.:tounge_out:

8. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I'm against it

9. Rbms

Rbms New Member

State:
    Central Mississippi
    I can't remember being in a situation where I could shoot a cat (fish:eek:oooh:) with a bow. I bowfish for gar and carp. Shot a grinnel (?) one time. Never a cat.

10. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    i've never seen a catfish that i could shoot with a bow, but i still don't agree with letting people try either. i think it is a very bad idea:angry: there are plenty of asian carp to shoot so why add catfish to the menu,what they should be doing is putting a bounty on the :crazy: over populated asian carp that are eating all the catfish eggs.

11. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I lived near the Savannah river and Clarks Hill. South Carolinia would allow bowfishing for carp and catfish, GA only carp. Went to a few tourneys and saw dumpsters full of dead fish, carp and cats. It was a very sad sight and one that I am ashamed to have participated in. That is why I am glad the BOC has some young members that can learn about conservation and our resources.

12. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    i dont like that and dont think it will pass #1 spot lighting is not legal in most places #2cats are usally in shallows at night so you need atificial lighting again here it is not legal #3during the day the a=will be shooting blind and hitting game fish.#4 its going to kill off tophy size fish that should always be returned to the water asap. #5 cat fish limit is to low meaning the is not enough to go around killing them. carp and all that shit there is not limit there for way over stocked and can afford to be killed off

13. southernfire97

southernfire97 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    really don't like the idea of that. bowfishing for trash fish is one thing but for our beloved ole whiskers, now thats something different!!!!!!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry:

14. Geek13

Geek13 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Yeah, I am not liking the idea of bowfishing for cats either.