Bowfishing for Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catter62, Apr 6, 2008.

1. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    This is good news for catters in Texas. Texas Parks and Wildlife has ended bow hunting as a legal method for taking catfish. TPWD, in their infinite wisdom, approved bowfishing for catfish in 2006 as an "experiment." Large flatheads are the main target and of course there is no CPR for a fish with an arrow through it. Below is an excerpt from an article by Steve Knight of the Tyler Morning Telegraph.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Well thats good news. I enjoy bowfishin for trash fish but i wouldn't shoot a catfish if i had the opportunity.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is valuable info. I did not even know that bow hunting cats was an option. I have seen it done for other fish but not cats, interesting.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There are some folks that bowfish cats here in SC and I know of some that take hundreds of pounds of big flatheads in a trip. I can't say that I really think bowfishing in itself is so wrong, but taking that many big fish seems a bit selfish to me. The thing is, since flatheads are not native to SC and they are accused (probably rightfully so) of eating up many native fishes in the rivers (mostly the redbreast sunfish and the native bullheads) the DNR is not in much of a hurry to protect them. I hate to admit it, but I can see their point. I just happen to love flatheads and from a selfish point of view, I figure the more that are released (or the less are killed), then the more and bigger ones are there for me to catch!

On a related note - the SC Department of Health and Environmental Control has tested catfish and found that pretty much all large flatheads contain dangerously high levels of Mercury. Therefore, for health reasons, everybody is better off eating smaller fish.

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    "The limit for bowfishing for catfish was the same as other means, 25 per day with a 12-inch minimum for channel and blues, five per day with an 18-inch limit for flatheads."

So when you shoot a 17" flathead or a 11" channel, you just throw the punctured fish back into the water to bleed to death??:embarassed:

I'm glad they ended this. I also don't like the idea of bowfishing for redfish and speckled trout down here in the marshes of south Louisiana. I hope they end this, it disgusts me to see people doing it. If you can bowfish for redfish/specks, why not bass/crappie?:angry: Keep it to "rough" fish only. Beisdes, carp and gar get huge, and asian carp are a real problem!!

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    My son bowfishes but he only takes carp and gar but he has told me that at night with their bright lights they use hes seen some really big flatheads in the clear water lakes cruising the flats in shallow water. He also likes to rod & reel fish for flats and channels. I hope it never comes about here that a person can bowfish for anything but carp and gar as it is now but I heard that KY was going to open a bow season for catfish, I don't know wether its true or not.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats good news i havent ever done it but I say its fun

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Bowfishing for catfish is legal here in Kentucky, there is a limit of 5 catfish.

BOW FISHING (301 KAR 1:410)

Rough fish may be taken year-round by bow and arrow with line attached. Sport fish may not be taken with a bow and arrow. Catfish have a daily creel limit of 5 (in aggregate) and paddlefish have a daily creel limit of 2. Bow fisherman may fish within 200 yards of a dam, except by boat in boat restricted areas. Bow fishing is prohibited on the Cumberland River below Wolf Creek Dam downstream to the Tennessee line, including Hatchery Creek and all tributaries for 1/2 mile upstream of their confluence with the Cumberland River.

Persons using a bow and arrow for fishing must have the appropriate fishing license and may take rough fish from bank or boat. There is no limit on other rough fish.

9. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas

10. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Yeah but catter when you shoot a fish, measure it, and find its too small (although I doubt everyone would shoot at such a small fish), would somebody be willing to risk getting into trouble with some WLF officer or just throw it back??:embarassed:

11. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    Ok, I see what you're saying now. You're right, they probably don't shoot at ones that small. I just don't know because I never been bowfishing.