Bowfishing for Catfish!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    There was a article in the local Sunday paper that said the Fish Commission is considering a new law that would allow bowfishing for Catfish! Now that just really ticks me off! :angry: I don't want to see guys going out and sticking big Flatheads with arrows! :sad2: There ain't no CPR involved in that sport! I urge everyone to contact the Fish Commission and voice your outrage over this proposal before its too late! The article stated the Fish Commission see's no problem with this. This shows once again how the mighty Catfish is treated as a trash fish by our Fish Commission! :angry:

2. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Maybe its just my eyes or the rivers and lakes I fish in, but honestly..I can count on one hand how many cats I have seen in my lifetime floating just under the surface that would allow for a bow shot..

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Keith - I agree for the most part but there have been reports here on the B.O.C. of massive schools of big Flatheads traveling together at the surface at certain times of the year. Someone with a bow could do major damage under these conditions. The newspaper article stated that bowfisherman have been requesting this new law so somebody is seeing Cats they can shoot!

4. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree no chance for cpr there. Im a bowhunter as well as avid angler and there are plenty on critters on land to hunt with your bow. No need to kill trophy fish.:angry::crazy::sad2:

5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You need to contact the commissioner for the fish commission in your area and have a talk with him, or meet with him and show him places like this that has a number of people all over the US that's in favor of not getting rid of catfish, the problem is the Biologist in PA have a big problem with the Flathead, they see them as Georgia does a danger to Bass and Bluegill & crappie. Until he retires from the fish commission as there main biologist it will not change he is hard headed and its like teaching an old dog new tricks , but first you need to win over the commissioner in your district.

Look in your fishing regulations book that comes with your fishing license it should be in the front or back with the listing of all commissioner's also take him fishing once in the Ohio River flathead fishing some night that will change them right away.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I guided a couple guys from Georgia one time. When they got here they had there bows with them and proceded to ask why we couldnt shoot catfish here. They showed me pictures of tons of catfish they harvest with there bows down there. I thought the same thing, how can they shoot catfish with a bow? They said they have a boat with lights and go up to the dams and shoot them at night.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

I agree, how many 40, 50, or even 60lb flatheads you see swimming around in the middle of the daytime. Even if they did it at night, it seems pretty difficult more less dangerous.

Unlike bowfisherman who shoot carp and gar, I think the bowfisherman who targets catfish will not let it go to waste, that most guys eat thier kill. Carp and gar that get shot mostly go to waste or sold to make feed. If it is legit, you can't do nothin about it.

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    That's pretty disturbing!:angry: No telling how many trophy fish they shot just for the heck of it without realizing or not caring how long it took those fish to get to the size they were.

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    The PGC doesnt have an issue with you bowfishing for flatheads because they're an introduced species and they encourage you to take them home when you get them rather then releasing them. They dont want flatheads in PA.

10. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Scott: The PGC Don't care about fish at all, LMAO Its the PA Fish and Boat commission that is over that, and yes your right, they want all Flatheads killed but there is a reason behind this and its the main biologist for them.

11. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I've heard of people shooting big blues and flatheads with spearguns in Toledo Bend and some clear rivers in west Texas.:angry:

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bow hunting cats is legal in South Carolina, and like you I wsih it wasn't. I know everybody has to make their own decision on CPR, but like you said, there's NO catch and release when you shoot a fish with an arrow.

As far as I know, most of the bowfishing for cats around here takes place up in the old rice fields (mostly very shallow) on the Cooper River - which tends to have good clear water since it comes out of Lake Moultrie. I suspect some folks do it up on the lakes, too.

That story about them going right up to the dam in GA and shooting fish just about makes me sick. Talk about shooting fish in a barrel ...

13. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

That is the truth. Below is a article stating that. I can not disagree with the commission more. Bow fishing for flats would just destroy the larger catfishing population. For me, when I release a catfish I think one day that fish might be the next record fish that I would love to catch. That is one reason why I release what I catch besides not wanting to keep them.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/catfish_flathead/00flathead.htm

14. Romo

Romo Active Member

State:
    PA
    All the PA fish commission cares about is stocking their sickly, 6 inch trout and jacking up the price of licenses by $5 every year! Save the bowfishing for carp which seem to be heavily overpopulated in a lot of lakes and rivers.

15. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    This makes me so angry. I cannot even come up with something intelligent to say at this point. Bet you wont see people bass fishing with a bow. Hell why not run up to deer lakes and score some trout with some dynamite. This is just nother example of the PAFBC being stupid.

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    as far as I'm concerned, there should be a set daily limit on how many catfish can be shot. actually I believe catfish should be caught by rod and reel only!! this way all of us can practice selective harvest; keep what we want to eat and let the others go!!! i usually let all my big cats go and keep the 2,3lbs. fish for the frying pan. AS a bowhunter, I have never bowfished, but I don't have an issue with guys shooting carp or gar, because these are considered trash fish in the state I live in.

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    sorry gang I meant to say fish commission.

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I had a request for a link to the article I read concerning the bowfishing for catfish but I don't know how to find it online. I can give you this much info-it was in the the outdoors page of the Valley News Dispatch on Sunday January 27. I believe the Pittsburgh Tribune Review also has the same outdoors page. If anyone can figure out how to post a link on here that would be awesome! :big_smile:

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nothing surprizes me anymore, some people wont be happy till flatheads are extinct.

20. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois