Bowfishing for catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TonyJr, Jul 13, 2006.

1. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I don't know if it's aready been discussed here or not. I know some states you can bowfish for cats. What's y'alls opinion on it? Why?

Here in MS it's illegal to bowfish for cats but some are trying to legalize it and I was wanting y'alls ideas on the topic.

Thanks for you're imput!!

2. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i dont keep alot of cats( mainly cause dirty water) but if i wanted to keep some i would think it would be easier to just catch the on a hook. plus i think if bowfishing were legal, people would just shoot them for fun like alot of people do with carp. i dont think bowfishing for carp is bad because they are overpopulated and not to great to eat but catfish (good tasting!)are a game fish and shouldnt be wasted.

3. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I love to see bowfishermen busting carp and gar, but it's the cats that I'm worried about. I with you on that. Thanks

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    LOL...That is a good way to get some more people whining. Just let it go.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds like it would be a waste of good fish to me.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    As long as you use the fish I dont care how you catch it as long as its legal.

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
  9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    As long as the fish is being used I have no problem with it. Bowfishing for catfish is legal here, the limit is 5 per day.

10. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Legal here too. Fun? Ever shoot a 30+ lber?!? Better hang on! :crazy:

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I couldn't resist, so I sent Ken at TWPD a letter:

Dear Ken:

My name is Dieter Melhorn and let me start by saying that I am NOT a resident of Texas, but I consider Texas each year as a destination for trophy deer hunting, trophy gar, and trophy catfish. I came across the link to the potential freshwater fishing regulation changes and saw there was a potential to allow bow fishing for catfish.

Let me start by saying that I am shocked that a wildlife office would consider a means of harvest that would result in the death of a fish 100% of the time with no option for a safe release. The fishing world has worked hard to promote catch and release to preserve and promote the sport for future generations, and allowing the harvest of any fish with a bow is a major set back that serves a small group of people.

I hope that this is not being done as an attempt to reduce competition for food, so that largemouth bass can grow and prosper at the expense of another stronger species. I see that the state of Texas is looking at increasing protection on largemouth bass by increasing the minimum harvest length. I am curious why there is not a proposal to allow the harvest of largemouth bass with a bow? I think we all know the answer, but I raise this question as a reality check as to the true goals of the TRWD.

I am already amazed that you can bow fish for the trophy gar that Texas has. I would love to learn how allowing the unlimited harvest of the largest fish in the waters of Texas will work to sustain the trophy gar populations there. Your own website states, “Little is known about the biology of this huge fish”, so I am further amazed that you allow the unlimited harvest of this freshwater monster. After hearing many bow fishermen refer to trophy gar as “good fertilizer”, it sounds as though there is a major contradiction between what the TRWD states in writing at the top of page 23 in its 2005-2006 fishing regulations and what it promotes through the unlimited harvest.

As, for my suggestion concerning the harvest of catfish with a bow; a $20 additional tag, a slot limit of 12”-24”, and two per day.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil, and I am sure that the proposal is on the table because of interest from people who bow fish. This e-mail is intended as “oil” for the thousands of people in Texas who fish for trophy catfish in the waters there.

Dieter Melhorn

12. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Dieter,

Very well articulated...I was just gonna sat that shooting catfish with a bow and arrow is just plumb bull____. I bow hunt for deer so do think I'm a PITA rep, but killing cats with bows for sport goes against everything I try to promote in younger fishermen. Good on you for taking the time to voice the opinion that is shared by thousands of your brothers.

13. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    a b@$$ should be able to be bowfished before a catfish! i think bowfishin for cats is just plain WRONG!!! it sickens me to see people waste fish like that!

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There is no such thing as bowfishing. fishing is the art of catching fish. Using a bow to put a deadly object into a fish is not fishing it is killing. whats next do we start using handguns or high powered rifles how about using a machine gun. How do you release a fish that is to little or to big. Heck let's just pull the plug out of the bottom of the lake and sit around in our recliners and wait for the fish to hold up their hand in defete.

15. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I'll say it again if the fish are used and limits followed there is nothing wrong with bowfishing for catfish. Whats next probably snagging, then setting lines. Oh yea why would anyone need more than one rod so lets outlaw multiple rods. Lets just keep chipping away at types of fishing we don't agree with till we do away with it all together. There is room for all types of fishing as long as the laws are followed.

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I don't bowfish, however, I do OBSERVE people trying to bowfish. It's not easy, especially for cats. How often do you physically see, with your own eyes, a catfish in the shallows. One that could be hit by an arrow, shot from a bow you are holding????

Oh yeah, very very rarely.

17. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't care if people want to kill fish with a bow, I really don't mind. Like Griz says if it is legal, well, OK.

This thread is about bowfishing and I just wanted everybody to know that no matter what anyone says bowfishing is not fishing it's killing, this is not just what I think this is a fact.

If a car is red it is red. every person on earth can say it is blue but that does not make it blue,if it is red it is red.

18. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Well then any time you go after some catfish for eating you have been killing not fishing cause it's a dead fish, just as dead as if you shot it with an arrow or a machinegun. When bowfishing you have the choice to let the fish swim or try to arrow it, with a r/r you go ahead and catch it then decide to keep or not. I'm sure there are some who shoot everything they see just like there are some r/r people that keep everything they catch, neither pay any attention to limits and one is just as bad as the other.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Bow fishing is not easy, in fact, it is very difficult. You first must be close enough to observe the fish, and then you must take into account the light refraction involved and compensate for that in your aiming.

My issue with the new law is that is singles out catfish as the only game species that is allowed to be shot by a bow. Why are they not allowing it for all species of game fish? Why can largemouth bass not be shot and killed with a bow as long as the creel limits are followed?

Like I have said before, I am NOT for every type of fishing as long as it is legal. Our government has a long history of allowing legal activites to take place at the demise of our wildlife. I am not blind enough to sit back and support every type of fishing or hunting just "because it is legal."

We as citizens need to think about the long term impact on our wildlife populations that we create because of harvest. I am very concerned about the monster gar in Texas and the unregulated harvesting of these fish with a bow. I do not see how these large fish can continue to exist if we are allowed to kill as many as we like.

20. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    The long term impact??? Here in Ky its been legal as far as I can remember. It was a few years ago that a multi state record blue cat was caught, 104 pounds I believe. Hows about we do away with catfish tournaments,(please, please, please) I see alot of fish dead after a tourney, but I guess thats ok since it was caught with a rod and reel. Sorry but waste is waste, whether caught by your preferred method or not. Go after the people wasting these fish, any fish, not just your preferred fish. Of all the times Ive seen people bowfishing they eat their catfish, I cant say that about all catfishing tourneys or all rod and reel fisherman.