Bowfishing for catfish ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by dustcat, Aug 11, 2009.

1. dustcat

dustcat Member

State:
    pa
    I was just curious to know how everyone else feels about guys shooting these cats. just saw in one of pa magazines a guy shot a 30 # flatty out east (think it was the susky) i know a guy that shot a 12# flatty out of the allegheny and several channels. they are allowed to do it but what would you guys say to someone you saw doing this. the channels dont bother me as much as the flats they could catch more channels than they shoot. dont get me wrong i bowfish and its a blast but i dont think we should be allowed to shoot these cats. of coarse someone could say the same thing about carp i suppose.

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If its legal I wouldn't say anything.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It needs to be made illegal, you dont bowfish for gamefish.

Just cause it is legal...does not make it ethical.

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Who decides what is ethical or unethical. If it is legal the people who wrote the laws must think it is ethical. If the person is eating the fish he is shooting I would have to say its ethical. unethical is a person who kills something and wastes it or does it outside the law in my book. If a person catches a 60 pound flathead, skins it and eats it, that's still ethical in my book. I was always taught not to kill something unless i was going to eat.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    a little hard to CPR a flatty or any other cat with an arrow stickin out:confused2:

6. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Is it legal to bowfish for cats??? Seems a little wrong to me... stick with the carp. Theres a ton more of those to be shot.

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know if it is. But I know I have never shot one. I have never seen anyone shoot one. I have never seen a cat when bow fishing.

8. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    well i dont think anyone bowfishing the 3 rivers would eat the fish because of the poluition.. so anyone doing it is for the sport of it , and i wouldnt agree with it but by law its legal i wouldnt say anything.:look_down:

9. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Can somebody verify that it's legal? I'm sure there is some sort of regulation on what species can be shot. For instance, i highly doubt that its legal to shoot largemouth sitting on their spawning beds. What are the regs? I don't know much about bow fishing i just shoot carp in my creek for archery practice lol. makes good cut bait

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Unfortunetly, its gaining in popularity among bowhunters and we see lots of big flatheads getting the shaft here in Ky. It is legal here since the catfish is still considered a rough fish and not a sportsfish. Some of our state records from bowfishing are very large fish. In this first video, they start out shooting carp and quickly turn to flatheads.

[youtubevid]9gmaOG_5OX4&eurl[/youtubevid]

You can see the big hole in this Trophy Flathead

[youtubevid]b5CpVU7UXls&NR[/youtubevid]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  11. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Man I had no Idea you could spotlight catfish at night for bowfishing. is this done on lakes or rivers. I cant believe the cats just sit up at the surface like that:crazy:

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    its only legal because alot of states dont appreciate catfishing enough to
    consider them a sport fish. go shoot a bass with an arrow and they will be up in arms and probably pullin the poaching card. ok, ive vented for the day.

13. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Man that just doesn't seem right. The music in that video makes it seem even more sadistic. Why wouldn't they just opt to fight the fish on a rod and reel when the cat has all of its strength and fury to fight back? So much more fun and gratifying. If flathead aren't gamefish then i don't know what is, i can't think of a more ultimate predator to pursue with a rod.

14. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    According to the PA fish commission, they're just a panfish with a 50 limit.
    Like to see them put a 40 lb. flat in a pan:confused2:

15. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I think that the "limit" on catfish is even more ridiculous than being allowed to bowfish for them. I mean think if we all kept the cats that we catch, that would be like 20 a night for a lot of us. The population would be decimated. If we were allowed to keep that many bass, i'm sure there would soon be a mob with torches and pitchforks storming the main office of the commish. Unbelievable.

16. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i wouldnt say anything to someone doing it up there, i grew up in pa, and ive done it once before, was out for carp and a 6# channel swam by, i dont see anything wrong with it, we ate that fish, if someone is doing it responsibly and not just throwing the cats on the bank, thats the way they wanna fish, as long as the fish dont go to waste i dont see a problem with it

17. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I agree with that completely, if the fish is being put to good use, but i know that a lot of bow fisherman just fill up a trash can with carp, and i assume if a cat comes swimming by, it ends up with the same fate.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Save all the anger, aggression, and arrows for the CARP!:cool2:

Be sporty, catch them on rod and reel. Using a bow and arrow is an unfair fight.

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Nothing wrong with a trash can full of carp with holes in them!:cool2::wink: