Bowfishing for Catfish - Public Hearings

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by TxCatfishGuide, Feb 6, 2006.

1. TxCatfishGuide

TxCatfishGuide New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well if you have not heard the TPW Commission has sent the Bowfishing for Catfish Proposal through the commission and it will go for public hearing.

This proposal has reached a stage that it should have never reached and angler turnout in opposition of this proposal at the public hearings is essential. It is very important that the anglers of Texas that oppose this proposal get to these public hearings and be heard.

Again, if we open the doors to bow fishing for game fish, chances are it will not stop with the catfish and will continue on to other species. We need to show up and be vocal.

Inland fisheries staff has admitted that they have no accurate way to sample catfish populations to know if the populations exist to support bowfishing and Phil Durocher of Texas Parks and Wildlife has stated that this is not the direction that TPW wants to be heading with the catfishing in the state, so they OPPOSE the bowfishing.

A complete listing of locations for public hearing is available at this link:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/feedback/meetings/statewide_hearings/

The bowfisherman are planning on being there, so you need to be there and make your voices heard to discourage TPW from taking a step in the wrong direction.

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I'm gonna try to make the Ft. Worth meeting on the 22nd.
    I sure thought this would die with all the letter writing that WE have done.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i think bow fishiing for anything iswroung, no sense in just killing it to kill it

4. Sully

Sully New Member

State:
    Missouri
    TxCatfishGuide

Why is it that you think that catfish in public waters should only be pursued by rod and reel tackle ? What difference does it make if a limit of catfish is taken by rod and reel or jugs or trot lines OR BOWFISHING equipment ?

To say your way of fishing is the only acceptable way is not only condescending but extremely petty ! I don't know if you have stopped and took a good look around the political landscape of your great country but to clue you in bowfishermen are not your enemy and pose no threat to anyone open minded and not against bowfishing for their own selfish reasons. If you want to get fellow fishermen together to protest another group I would suggest a anti PETA rally { the real enemy of the sportsmen }

warcraft1975

That has to be about the most uninformed statements I've heard in some time ! To assume that all bowfishermen " just kill to kill " is as stupid as saying that ALL rod & reel catfishermen have AIDS. Your stereotyping and condescension is telling. If you have never eaten any fish you have caught you still would not have the moral right to make such a statement. Frankly warcraft1975 your post sounds like something that a PETA member would say!

I hope that ya'll will rethink your stance on this issue and embrace fellow sportsmen and not drive another wedge in an already divided community.

Sully

5. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I try to make the Lampasses meeting on 3/1 because I feel catfish should be a game fish insead of a trash fish.

6. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I'll also try to make the Temple meeting on 2/22 for this is a invasion of the gread sport of catfishing and should be dealt with accordingly.

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Very well put Sully!!

8. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Does anyone have a written statement or petition which can be handed in at these meetings? I would like something to hand in for proof of the catfishing and the sport of catfishing.

9. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Well Sully I've thought about Bow Fishing for Catfishing and have to say that Catfish and the sport of catfishing is a valued sportfish and should not be considered a rough fish, but I would like to put this subject up for debate to the members of BOC who reside in Texas.

10. Sully

Sully New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mr. Conley

Can you explain what inpact you think that making a limited harvest of catfish with bowfishing tackle ( just like the limited harvest of catfish with rod and reel ) will have on the other tackle type catfishing ?

11. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I'm putting a debate on for or against bow fishing for catfish and am looking for your in-put into this subject. Let's not get heated but be responsible in this debate.

12. Sully

Sully New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mr Conley

When the state of Texas stops issuing nonresident fishing licences you will have a valid piont !

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

in responce.....if you put an arrow in it its not a far strecth of the imagintion that it has died or will be dead soon enougth.and i dont think just killing some just to kill it is even close to being sportsman like, if your going to eat it thats one , but i am sure many dont so dont tell me i dont have a right to my opion

14. Sully

Sully New Member

State:
    Missouri
    warcraft1975

I never said that you did not have a right to your opinion , just that your opinion was wrong !

I guess you eat your fish alive

15. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I for one am Against Bow Fishing for Catfish as stated in another post for I feel that Catfish are a valued sport fish and should not be classified as a rough fish such as Gar, Buffalo or Carp. Why one of the first fish I ever caught was a Catfish on rod and reel at the wee age of 7 or 8 and in doing so brought such enjoyment to me that I have followed for the past 50+ years as a Cat fisherman.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alot of people release there catfish, pretty hard to do that with an arrow in them....Please it should not be called bowfishing, but maybe bowhunting for fish.

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

no i eat plenty of fish sir,but to say i have a right to my opion but its wroung,is kinda an a$$ backwards stament dont ya think?i have a right to it weather you think its right or not.and i dont think bow fishing is even close to being sportman like,what about all the other fish its legal to bow fish for? carp gar? do ya think people really eat them? i dought it. just like the gator gar down south its leagal to bow fish it but why? i think it should have a chance to be returned to the water unharmed for future genarations to enjoy, and not have somone with a bow a the small man syndrome kill it just to have a pic of it and show it off,so i hope they bann it all together so there stomp your feet and say badwards because i dont care if you dont like,bowfishing is as about as sportsman like as snagging(it isnt)

18. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i agree with the above post. i dont think it should be leagal just because you cant return the fish if you dont want it

19. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Well here in Texas we take Cat fishing very seriously and if this issue is allowed it is one more nail hammered into the lid of this fine fish which much of the nation does not consider a game fish and thus pays little attention to.
    I for one feel it is a money making scheme by the bow industry and outfitters of bow fishing to promote more sale's I feel they care very little for this great fish and they wish to turn Catfish into a rough fish. Cat fishing has a heritage and following that spans generations as a fish to be prized after for both sport and eating.

20. Sully

Sully New Member

State:
    Missouri
    warcraft1975

I think that your on the wrong site www.PETA.com has many like minded people to the way you think. KILLING is wrong ! No matter what KILLING is wrong ! I'm not going to answer your questions or debate KILLING is wrong !