Bowfishing Catfish in Texas - My Take

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by TxCatfishGuide, Jan 17, 2006.

1. TxCatfishGuide

TxCatfishGuide New Member

State:
    Texas
    As you may or may not know. TPWD is considering a rule change allowing bowfishing for catfish.

The catfish is classified as a game fish in Texas and in fact is the #2 most sought after game fish in the state.

Allowing the bow fishing community to open the doors to shooting catfish and leaving them on the banks to rot like they do the carp, gar and other rough fish they shoot is, many believe, just one more step to opening the doors to bowfishing for other game fish.

The argument presented by many is that few opportunities may present themselves for shooting catfish with bow and arrow but bow fisherman with a good knowledge of catfish patterns could easily get shots at catfish. If there is so few shots available then why is the bowfishing community lobbying so hard to have the rules changed. I think I have already answered the question.

Bottom line is the fish that will be shot are the BIG fish. The catfish that are spawning fish that keep the lakes populated. They will be shot with no chance of a live release, ultimately causing damage to overall populations. It is about more than just 1 fish.

Like I said, this is bigger than "catfish" this is about allowing bow fisherman to hunt and kill game fish with no chance of live release. It is about the cockroach theory. If there is one on the floor there are 200 more behind the wall.

Opening a venue to allow the kill of game fish could easily be spread to other species of fish.

I have a vested interest because of my passion for catfishing but everyone needs to look at the bigger picture here and see what this is really about. You can bet your last dollar that if the issue at hand were to become bowfishing for BASS at Lake Fork there would be people flying off the handle all over the state.

I have been contacting some folks at TPWD on the inside about the bowfishing for catfish proposal trying to get some information on this deal and have gotten some good reliable information from folks I have dealt with in the past.

The story that I am getting at this point is that the biologists at Inland Fisheries AND the Game Wardens do NOT support the bowfishing for catfish proposal.

The proposal was brought forward by a commissioner who has evidently supported the idea in the past, Phillip Montgomery.

Phillip Montgomery, Charmain of the Board of P.O.B. Montgomery and company is a Dallas big wheel, I won't go into details about him but if you do some simple research on Google about him you will see exactly why he serves on TPWD Board of Directors, it's a "gimme" position.

Many of the members of the Board of Directors for TPWD have strong conservation minded backgrounds, but not Mr. Montgomery.

For complete backgrounds on Texas Parks and Wildlife Commissioners go to the following link
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/about/commission/commissioners/

The commission has the final say so, like it or not that is the system that is in place.

Now the funniest part of this whole deal is this. Mr. Montgomery says the bow fishing issue should boil down to science. If there are enough fish to sustain bow fishing, the archery anglers should get their shot, he says. "It's our job as commissioners to maximize fishing and hunting opportunities," he says. Texas Parks and Wildife has publicly stated on numerous occasions that they do not have an accurate means to sample catfish in their lakes, so they have no way of knowing if catfish populations are there to support this.

It seems that the fishing community let out a huge outcry when this first came up, but it has since dwindled down. The bowfishing groups are well organized and very vocal.

Bottom line - Please take time time to email or call the following individuals and let them know your thoughts on the subject. If folks get quiet, this deal just could make it through. But lots of feedback from the community will certainly help to stop this from going any further.

I don't want to turn this into a debate on for or against, or political arguments or anything else. I just want to make sure to keep this in the public eye and on everyones mind until a decision is made.

Chad Ferguson

CONTACT INFORMATION IS BELOW.
    ==========================================

Robert Cook
    Texas Parks and Wildlife Executive Director
    Robert.cook@tpwd.state.tx.us
    512-389-4802

Phil Durocher
    Inland Fisheries Division Director
    phil.durocher@tpwd.state.tx.us
    512-389-4802

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with you 100 percent, Bowfishing for catfish is useless slaughter in my book.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Thanks for bringing this thread back to life...there is an older one on the same subject. I sent my objections in a while back. Thankfully, its not easy to bowfish for cats, but that isn't the issue. We just do not need to add pressure to a fish that gets so much attention from means other than pole fishermen. Too many trotliners leave the lines in the water without checking, often leaving cats to die.

Wonder how the saltwater boys would feel it it was redfish that was tagged by this commish for bowfishing. Reds would be an ideal bowfishing target, what with the way they tail in shallow water.

4. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    good post iagree 100%. iwill be making some phone calls tomorrow and lets see if we can put some pressure on Mr. Montgomery. thanks for the info i dont have a problem with doing some leg work on this issue.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Am I understanding this right? Do all bowfisherman just toss their catch on the bank to die? I would have to disagree. The ones I know either eat their catch or turn it into oil for trapping. I feel if jug fishing, noodling, limblining all have their shot why not the bowfisherman, as long as the catch is used.

6. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Thank you for this timely post. I sent in my objection agaisnt bowfishing for catfish.

7. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    My thought are that if one gamefish is legal for bowfishing, then they all should be. I am not sure where I would stand on that. I don't think that there have been any studies on the impact on population. I see trotliners that take huge numbers of large cats. Recently saw one of a pickup loaded with 30 to 50 lbs. from Tawaniki last spring. I do think that there should be regulations and they need to tighten them up on cats, not make them easier. I will write tpw.

Jim

8. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    In all my years of fishing I have never seen catfish just floating around waiting for Robin Hood Or Cochise to stick an arrow in them!!
    I would venture to say if we are worried about the catfish population, let us outlaw jugging or trotlining as they have a greater impact on the catfish population .....

This has been around all over the boards and only serves to start arguements, kind ah like politics or religion

9. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

GentleBen,
    I disagree with you respectfully,if you catch a fish on a trotline or jug line,you always have the option of turning it lose.What option do you have once you put a arrow through it,not many.I have bowfished for several years,most of the fish i have taken are carp,buffalo,and gar.Probably can count on one hand the number of catfish i have seen at a lake on one hand,but a river is another story.I have seen several times i could have shot
    catfish with my bow.I am totally against it.
    Ernie

10. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I heard on the Luke Clayton fish and game radio talk show (broadcast from Texas) that this law had already been shot down. So you all might want to check the latest reports on it.

11. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    And I respectful receive your disagreement.
    You are pretty fortunate to have seen all those cats on top my freind cause I never have and i've been on and in the lake since '73.
    Maybe I have missed something, under what conditions have you seen them? What time of year? What hour of day or was it at night? Were they grouped up tight or were they scattered?? Just curious ?What river were the in?
    You then, being a bow hunter, would you leave them to rot on the river bank as was explained in the introduction or would you eat them?
    I personally give away most my fish I catch cause I am too lazy to clean them..;)
    That is not entirely true i give them to them cause the folks I take out usually don't catch very many fish..besides that I find it easier to give, than to receive!!
    thanks for your reply Leakyboat ,glad it was shot down..

12. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Hey Ben,
    On the river here,(BRAZOS)I would say the average depth is 4' to 5' ft,maybe getting 6' or 7' in some spots, with sand and gravel bars it creates
    some slough's in places.You can push fish in those sloughs and cuts and have a field day on them.Up until these last couple of years,i bowfished 4 or 5 times maybe a year.We've always give our fish away.Had a friend that would pressure cook the carp and buffalo,and make patties out of them.About now is the time of year,depending how the weather is.Usually always go at night.
    Ernie

13. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    Wow, I love your signature ..
    so the mighty Brazos is not very deep then??
    i hunt with a crossbow due to my disability and can drive nails at 50 yards but to this date have not take any game, I am glad that you are not one of those mr Redneck discribe as leaving them to rot on the riverbank what is a waste. :crying:

14. catfishredneck

catfishredneck New Member

State:
    Timpson texas
    Fatkat I to heard that on the talk show radio. but it will probally be brought up for vote again by next year. crying shame. I also read an article where shaw grigsby was trying get some of the big names in fishing to rally against it. who figured bass fisherman helping us catfisherman ha-ha once a fisherman always a fisherman no matter the species.

15. TxCatfishGuide

TxCatfishGuide New Member

State:
    Texas
    This is still very much an issue.

16. Ted Nugent

Ted Nugent New Member

State:
    Texas
    Even Though The "Nuge" Is Into BowHunting and or Fishing "Bob" Isn't For This Change At All, But Once All The Votes Are Counted And Political Payoffs Are Made I'll Follow The Rules:)

17. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I don't know what affect it has on game fish, but the bow fishermen around here kill a lot of gar. I think that is a good thing. Maybe there are some spots that they can kill enough catfish to make a difference in population: I personally doubt it. I guess we need some studies. If the population can't take bowhunting, can it take jug lines, trot lines, liberal limits. I am not trying to stir anything up, but I bet I can take more with legal lines than all the bow fishermen in this area. I do not shoot a bow. I just think that everyone is entitled to their sport, if there is no adverse effect on population. As far as bowhunters throwing everything away, that is just like the line fishermen. Some catch and release, some keep everything, and some break every law and throw trash everywhere. I also think that if they make catfish legal, then every game fish should be legal. Just abide by the state laws and limits.
    Jim

18. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    jsharper ,I agree with you. A couple of weeks ago we attacked Lake Houston and caught over 160 head of blues and opps in two days , on jug lines so in my opinion if any thing should be outlawed it would be jugs cause you can naturally wear out them cats .....:p