droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Bill you gonna put garlic on it?

3. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I read somewhere that the lowly Mudfish is prized for its roe. The eggs are comparable to high quality caviar. Can't remember which state said that they were being overharvested and/or threatened for the roe.

Once on a camping trip we were trying to bait a trotline with cut mudfish...could'nt get a hook through the skin. Tough as boot leather.

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Lots and lots of these dudes in Florida, they will grow to 15 or 18 pounds, maybe more. They will eat anything and are caught on artificials as well. A big one will bust up bass tackle. Don't try landing one of these by the lips, it will bite you bad.

5. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    In Florida all the bass guides kill these fish when they catch them. As soon as they hit your bait they head for the reeds or heavy cover. Quite a fighter.

6. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Great pic Bill I have caught several when I was a boy bassfishing in Tennessee with my dad. He hated to dip them because of all the TEETH they would tear up the net, but as you found out the fight real well.

7. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Awsome looking fish.:0a23:

8. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    If you want to have some fun with these things.......fish the upper end of Marion in the cypress swamps during the heat of the day and throw a red shad culprit worm or a mepps # 3 Aglia spinner and hold on !!!!!!!! The place is infested with them. Years ago there was a couple of old timers that lived on the river here and they used to boil the meat off of them and make like salmon patties. I really cant remember if they were that good eating or we were just so damn hungry after fishing all day we didnt care.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i caught one out in the middle of the lower lake at santee 8-10 years ago drifting. it put up a great fight also. another fish i havent seen at santee in 10 years is the northern pike or jack fish some folks called it. use to catch several of those fish every year in front of angels landing up to 4-5 lbs. they also have a mouth full of teeth.

10. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    These are some of the best eating in the world if you know how to score them before frying them. Score them from head to tail after scaleing them about 1/4 inch apart all the way down, then score them lengthwise the same. Fry them up hot and all those hair bones dissolve and you have chunks of meat you can just pick off like a fillet. I very rarely throw one of these back anymore.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Saw a bass fishing show once where a guy lip landed a bowfin. There was blood all ver the place. Bet he'll never do that again!

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Cool catch. I've never caught one before but I want to.

13. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Oh man, I love catchin grinnels. For their size they put up such an awesome fight! They can put the hurtin on leaders, though.