Bowfin?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by slabmaster, Apr 21, 2006.

1. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i was checking out some of riverscums photos"that boys a hand by the way." and i saw his bowfin. ive never seen or heard of one . i thought i knew about every fish that swims. wwhere do you catch them? on what bait? are they eddable? and how big do they get?

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    A prehistoric fish dating back to the Jurasic period. There is an effort to add it to the endangerd species list in P.A.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    They bite on the same stuff cats do, I have caught them on live and cut eel, shad, and believe it or not, Bowfin.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Bowfin will hit about anything. Bass fishermen hate them because they will wreak havoc on a new crankbait or soft plastics. There isn't much that they wont bite if hungry. No, Slabmaster I don't think that they make good table fare. I think they get up to about 15 pounds or so and they are ferocious fighters. Vern

6. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    I was fishing in south Georgia, and I was fishing in a pond near the swamp and caught a one of those........ I have never seen anything like one. I was fishing with a small rooster tail for Bass and that thing hit in in about 6 inches of water it was like it was buried up in the mud and when I brought my bait across him he just nailed it.

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for your replys fellas. now i know.

8. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    you PA boys should fish killbuck creek / shreve swamp areas in ohio, they are everywhere.

they have over run many native sportfish species. they have been known to destroy some ponds, where well-intentioned folks have introduced them.

9. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Here in North Carolina I fish for bowfin in slow moveing water like back waters.
    They like to stay around cattails.I use small bream fished with a float.

:cat:

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    How can this be?They are the oldest known native species throughout their range.All known "native sportfish and trash fish species" have come along or been introduced well after the Bowfin.Check it out.Also,all species of fish have been known to "destroy" ponds through imbalance.I am 60 years old.Many of the things that you hear and read about Bowfin were said and printed about Catfish,Carp,etc. in the past.There have always been people who called themselves "sport fishermen" and ridiculed anyone that fished a different way,or for different species than they did.We have evidence of that right here on the BOC.WE are ALL GUILTY of it at times.We are human.When someone can show me a freshwater fish in this country,that fights harder in the water,and can tear up more tackle after boating,please let me know.I want to fish for it.Many people kill every one that they catch,and then throw it away.To kill a fish because it fights too hard,tears up your tackle,or is too much effort to release alive,tells the world what kind of sportsman YOU are.Now I am not condoning or condemning this practice.I am just stating a fact.peewee-williams

11. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    don't get me wrong pee-wee, i'm not ridiculing anyone for fishing for bowfin, i enjoy fishing for them. and you are right, all fish can over populate, but that doesn't mean i want bowfin in my pond. but i do agree that people should not kill them, just to kill them, that is unless, they are in your privately owned pond.

in many man-made ponds in my area, you no loger catch gills, bass, cats, and carp because a few bowfin were introduced. i'm not talking about thousands, i'm talking about 10 or so transplants, to a 2-4 acre pond. in just a handfull of years, they bred and ate the other species into oblivion

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What I am disagreeing on is giving the Bowfin the credit for overrunning the other native species.Bowfin were first.They allowed or did not stop the rest of the species from coming along.The Bowfin got along with and did not over run any of these fish until MODERN MAN in his infinite wisdom started controlling the fish's environment.Targeting certain species as sport or food fish is just one of the many ways.Sure the Bowfin survives for two reasons.#1 He is not being targeted by man and removed with the other fish.#2 It is a, surviver. Surviving is what Bowfin do best.Big Bowfin will eat a little Gar or Gator.Big Gators and Gar will eat Bowfin.Bowfin allowed all of the aquatic species to evolve with out overrunning any until mans interference.I do believe it is US more often than THEM.In the past,many people considered Redfish,Tarpon,Alligator Gar and even Catfish as TRASH FISH.Look at us now! Any fish that will fight like a Bowfin is a "Sport Fish" to me.peewee-williams

13. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Yeah, these are some tough fighters for sure. They are built to give you a hard time. LOL. I think they may even be stronger than catfish of comparable size. I don't fish for them specifically, but I always seem to land one from time to time (see profile pic LOL). As stated earlier, they seem to attack anything, and I'd rather spend my time trying to get a Norhtern Pike unhooked than dealing with a bowfin, but they do give you a battle...

14. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    PEEWEE, I have to agree with you, I have laughed for years at the ferocious B@$$ fisherman that catches one of those worthless things and then starts cussin and cryin cause his expensive rig (he just caught a 7-8 lb trash fish on) is broke cause a 1 1/2 -2lb mudfish tore it up. It fought too hard.
    makes me wanna set an cry too!
    a lot of the old timers eat the small ones too!