Bowfin!

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by 07_hemi_thunderroad, Jan 20, 2009.

1. 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad New Member

State:
    north caro
    hey guy how is it going i was wondering if there are any bowfin hunters out there besides me? I think that they are one of the best fight fish in fresh water pound for pound! if you have never hooked into one let me know and i well try my best to find find a lake our river where you are at to get into them! here are some pics of some that i have caught!

Attached Files:

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    they are a great fight, i've caught a couple while bass fishin in florida, and they put a hurtin on lures

3. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    They are an awsome fighting fish. I have got some nice ones down in Fl.

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Nice pictures. We used to catch them by accident Pike fishing in Michigan. Neat fish!

5. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    We call them grinnel around these parts. I love to catch them. We used to go grinnel fishing every saturday when I was younger. You're right, pound for pound aint no fish gonna fight harder than a grinnel. They are some bad mo jos. We caught them on black plastic worms with a fire tail.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bowfin are a lot of fun, as long as you are not cat fishing &*#$% ! I hate it when they steel my live gills.... They sure are a pretty fish though and I wouldn't mind getting a record.:big_smile:

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've caught some nice ones over the years, especially at Reelfoot Lake, TN. Caught most of them on live or cut bait.

8. Techno2000

Techno2000 Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Yeah,I use to fish for them all the time, the real fun begins when you pull them out the water. and they go ballistic.It's all ways the biggest ones that end up bending your hook,and falling back in the water !:0a32:

9. 07_hemi_thunderroad

State:
    north caro
    they are a great way to have fun on one of those not catching the fish you want days! when i go bass fishing or catfishing or crappie fishing and don't have the best of luck i well start fishing for them! i am going to try to break the NC state record for them this year so wish me luck!

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    When I was in school nearly 40 years ago, I fished specifically for "mudfish" as they are called here. I caught a 17 pounder once, which would have been a state record at that time, but nobody much cared about stats on a mud because they are considered trash fish. I always fished a bobber with cut bait, in ponds and spillways. They sure enough are fightin' machines, and ORNERY to boot. We always shot em' in the head with a .22 before boating them. If you didn't, they'd tear up everything in the boat.

Bill in SC

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    We call them grinnel around here also and years ago i caught one out of little creek it was about 15 pounds i threw it back never thought of eating it . My dad said it was boney and had to bleed them he called it a dog fish . Guess its a fish of many names . Have not caught one since then that was in 1982

12. 07_hemi_thunderroad

State:
    north caro
    here are some of there common names: Beaverfish. Blackfish. Choupic. Choupique. Cottonfish. Cypress trout. Dogfish. Grindle. Grinnel. Grinner. Lawyer. Mudfish. Poisson-castor. Scaled ling. Shoepick. Shoepik. Shoepike. Shupik. Speckled Cat.

13. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I love fishing for them, especially soon here in the next months when the spawn begins and the females are fat as mud and the males get bright red and nearly flourescent green in the fins and mouth! I could go catch a few in the upper creeks right now, likely, but most would be 2 or 2 1/2lbs. Next month they'll be 3-6lbs. average. I've only caught one that went 10lbs., but I know I've hooked a couple bigger that took me right into the sticks and ended up breaking me off.

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    They are thick as thieves here in FL, we caught 57 of 'em last Sat., ranging from 2 to 15 lbs using cut bait. They are a great fighter & an old guy I know eats 'em, so it works out good for everybody:wink:

15. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am going to visit my mom in Fl. at the end of the month. I might get some freshwater fishing in. I would target Catfish, Gar and Snakeheads.