Bowfin Pic

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by FATFLATTIE, Jan 3, 2008.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Conrad's post made me think of this pic. One of the largest bowfin I've ever caught.

Attached Files:

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    What do you use for bait?

3. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Nice Grinnel Flattie. Just don't lip 'em!

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I caught that one on shrimp while I was catfishing. I usually catch most of them while I'm bass fishing on topwater lures or spinnerbaits.

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Nice one. I've only seen a couple of those up close before. :0a1:

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Sweet fish, we hammer up here in early July. Biggest I've seen was about 8lbs......fought like 20. Someday I'm going to try to eat one...some folks swear it's delicious.

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Nice one, thanks for sharing the pic. I've never caught one before.

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    man that was a nice one.. the ones i have caught in my area are always beat up and look like the are on the verge of death... but they act livly...

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I can't believe that you catch them in Indiana b/c they need tidal flats to spawn. Well, I guess if you're below the fall line you're good to go but it's just weird to me that a fish that hardy lives in the coastal part of NC but not where I grew up.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I caught quite a few of them things when growing up in Indiana. You can always find them dried up sloughs and oxbows. They can survive in the most stagnant of water. Cut bluegill chunks with no weights.

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Were did you grow up where they didn't have them? I've caught them from NC, to Texas, to Minessota. Not as prevalant up north as they are down south...but BIG beasts. I didn't make a habit of weighing the ones we caught on the Mississippi or up Minn. lakes, but I rarely got any that I would call under 5lbs.

12. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We have caught alot of them in the Yadkin just above High Rock Lake catfishing in the "potholes" off the main river channel. We caught a monster of one right before dark one night and took a picture of it and throwed it back. I compared the picture to the one of the state record the next day and if it wasn't a record we threw back it was within a pound or two of it. After that we made sure we started carrying some scales with us. As far as bait we always caught them on cut shad or white perch.

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I grew up in Lexington, NC. Never heard of nor seen a bowfin until I moved down here. I guess if you fish the rivers down past any of the damns you could catch them, but I never did. Most all I did was fish lakes and rivers/creeks above the lakes.

14. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nice fish, Wes... Biggest I've caught was about a third that size. Thanks for postin'

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice Bowfin.

16. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    We got into a load of those one day fishing a oxbow off the Hatchie river in Tenn.,they were all close to that size and were pulling the canoe around whenever we hooked one.:big_smile:

17. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Those things are Uuuugly fish to me. That's a nice sized one though. They fight good, fun to catch.

I caught my very first one in a man made reservoir; Jordan Lake here in NC. I was fishing for crappie using a plain minner on a 1/0 aberdeen hook and 6# test mono. It was a miracle he didn't pop the line. I had no idea what the heck it was, just knew it had teeth and hard gill plates. (glad I had a net!)

[​IMG]

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    nice looking bowfin bro.!!

19. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    What's the bowfin's status in NY? Here in PA, they are a candidate species for the threatened/endangered species list. It's reccommended to release them, but not mandatory as far as I know.

Matt

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Here in PA, they are considered endangered. They had a problem with people killing them because they thought they were snakeheads. The are actually rare out in the eastern part of the state.

There are a crapload of bowfins down in Florida too!