Bowfin or Mudfish?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Shootandfish1, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Sorry, I didn't know where to post this. I don't mean to ask so many ?'s, but this time next week I will be in Central Florida for several weeks of fishing and I am trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can.

This time last year I was taken to what would become my favorite spot for bank fishing. Last year we took several large 'Mudfish'-Thats what everybody called them. I think my Florida Fish ID showed them to be 'Bowfin'.

These fish were reguarded as trash fish and were disposed of. The prevailing attitude was that the mudfish ruins that section of water for sport fishing.

Is there anything one can do with this fish. What would be 'the right thing' to do?

Thanks-Fred

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Around here, we call em grinnell. i just let em go. killing them isnt gonna make the fishing any better in that particular spot. they have always been there and they're not leaving anytime soon.

3. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    We catch a lot of them here in NE Florida. I treat them the same as I do Bass. Thank'em for a good fight and turn'em loose. Be careful if you catch one, they can and will bite you if you give them a chance. At certain times of the year they are very colorful, really a pretty fish.

4. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks-Is there any way this fish can be prepared for the table. I was told that the meat is too boney and not very good.

I know what you mean about those teeth-Whoa!!!

Fred

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i'm sure you can find out a cleaning method on here somewhere. try the library first.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Some people do eat them, but they tend to be kind of soft. If you have a favorite recipe that calls for mushed up fish, they're prolly be good for that. I have heard they firm up some in the winter.

Personally, I do not believe in killing any fish just because you don't care for them or someone says they ruin the fishing (usually they are full of s&%t and don't know what they are talking about). Those bowfin/grinnel/mudfish were around before the dinosaurs. I'm not qualified to decide they should go.

7. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks- My dad tried to raise me to be conservationly minded. Growing up mainly hunting, I have a good idea about what is right and wrong. For example as kids We were encourged to kill every groundhog possible. Now I realize the groundhog provided habitat for cottontail rabbits and the coyotes are killing groundhogs off. I have shot my last groundhog---But I will drop a coyote on sight.

I know that shooting trash fish with bow and arrow is acceptable behavior in KY, and these fish are not eaten--that I know of.

After not fishing for 25 years, learning that I really enjoy it (especially in Florida), I just want to what is right for proper management of this wonder resourse.-Fred

PS-I now know how to clean a gar now--They are headed for the plate.

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    there is always the option of using those bowfin as flathead bait.

9. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    James, the last bowfin I caught was almost as long as the cat your holding up in your picture-Are we talking about the same fish-Fred

10. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    They are very plentiful here in the rivers. The only time Ive ever ate them that i can remember them being any good was years ago some old timers that lived on the river used to ask us to keep them a few when we set trot lines. They would take and boil the meat off the bones and make patties with it (like salmon patties). they were pretty good or we were just hungry as hell. Anyway, for several years whenever i caught them Id take them by and give em a bunch. Now that those old folks are gone ,Im back to beating the hell out em with the boat paddle......

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Also know as a dogfish, and many other names but as far as yer question on eating them, I know of a couple old timers that still do, they say to either keep them alive until they clean them or they quickly gut them out and put on ice to keep the meat firm, I have had some at the ol' river dinners and they were just fried like others do and well they were not maybe the best but they done the job of filling that empty spot? and I also have seen them used for like patty type as mentioned above. They are fun to catch thats for sure, and they do get good size also. Good luck on yer trip!

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    They fillet easy off the backbone and skin. Boil till meat will come off of the bone.Mix the meat with cornmeal,chopped onion,egg,garlic.Makes a good patty in my book.Still makes a good patty in my book without the fish.I like them fried better than any Largemouth Bass that I ever ate.Very beneficial fish in my book.If you notice,you don;t hardly catch them below 8".The small ones eat vegetation,then change over to meat as a adult like Bullfrogs and Tadpoles.My kids would catch the tiny ones when the creek would dry up and we would put them in aquariums.They ate the grass until around 8" and then chanced over to meat.They are the fightingest freshwater fish I have ever known pound for pound.The small ones are our native grass carp.I would hate to see some of our waters without them.I am wondering if the thing that is killing the frogs will kill the Bow fin.

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I lived in Ocala, Fla. most my life and your right. Most people throw mudfish and gar on the shore to die. I always hated fighting with the yellow jackets because someone threw their unwanted fish on shore. I've always cursed at them then released them.. Now I'm in SC so I curse at the turtles instead, lol.

14. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Fred, I actually like what we call grinnel here in Southern Illinois. I prepare them by hanging on a nail and splitting the tail ..... let them bleed out. Then scale & dress. I supose you could filet them but I never did. If a big one cut it down the backbone. I sometimes soaked them in salted water for an hour or so. Then roll in favorite batter & deep fry. They don't freeze very well, but I have frozen them on occasion. The meat is a bit soft in texture.

15. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Guess if I was really hungry I could eat a bowfin or worse yet a bass. Would much rather munch blue gill or crappie fillets. soak'em in milk for a couple of hours, roll'em in a 50/50 mix of flour and cornmeal with lots of black pepper. fry til golden. take the left over cornmeal mixture add enough milk to make a thick batter and drop spoonfuls in the grease you cooked the fish in. nothing wasted and soooooo good. can even chop an onion real fine and add it to the hush puppys. Dang, made myself hungry...I'm going fishing..Bye now !!!

16. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks to all-I really enjoy hearing the bits of knowledge and stories that only come from years on the water-I showed my ignorance and thanks to you I'm a better person for it-Next mudfish will be returned to the water or to the cooler-Fred