Bowfin in North Carolina

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ncfowler, Apr 3, 2006.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    the other day I went out on Oakhollow at highpoint to do a little fishing I got a lot of small ones in the 2 to 5 lb range and a bowfin around 6lbs it is the first one i ever got. what a ugly cuss but had a good fight:)

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I been catching a lot of them lately. My biggest so far is an 10 pounder. They do give a good fight.:)

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fish for them regularly, just because I think they are fun to catch. Check out my post titled Two Days on the NE Cape Fear to see a picture of a 10 pounder I caught a couple day ago!

4. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i catch then alot here in indiana too...great fighters but, man they're evil lookin' lol

5. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
  6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I will agree that they can be somewhat fun to catch, but I do tend to get disappointed when I see its not a catfish.

7. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    10-4 about being dissappointed there almost a bad as a ghar.

8. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    My buddy got one the other day about 3lbs. on a crappie jig...yep a crappie jig!

9. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    if you like to catch bowfin hit the south/black river (depends on where you are) i pulled a 18 pounder out of there a while back that river is full of them but i wouldnt recomend eating anything out of there, all the fish there have a high mercury level in them but tis still a good fight

10. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.

I think the state record for bowfin is 17lbs, you could of had your name in the record book. Not sure if anyone really wants to go down in the books for bowfin but its something.