Bowfin - Full Force!

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by C_wernett, Apr 18, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, the bowfin have been an utter blast here the past couple of weeks, and nothing prettier than a spawning male! We've been doing good drifting crawlers on Brice Creek for fish from 2-5lbs. Today I was fishing the New River, jigging a rubber worm on my 5' UL rod and 4# test when I caught a 6lbs fish...that was one heck of a brawl! I've got a picture of the spawning colors from one of the fish from Brice Creek, hopefully it comes out well. If it doesn't, e-mail me and I'll send you the original that shows how briliantly colored these bad-boys get!

Attached Files:

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Pic looks fine. Amazing the colors nature can produce. Thanks for sharing.

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Cool picture. Did ya get one of the entire fish ? Those are some mean dudes.... I caught one once while bass fishing at lake fork. I thought I had a lake record bass on, it pulled so hard and took drag like nothing had before. It was night time and when it came to the boat I about freaked out when I bent over to lip my trophy bass and it had theeth.

I'm sure your fight was fantastic on ultra light gear. Great job getting that sucker in.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

Those are a lot of fun to catch. When I was a kid we would go creek fishing just down the road from the house and we caught them like crazy. We cleaned them and Mom would pressure cook them and can 'em and use them to make fried fish patties. It wasn't unusual to catch 50 pounds of them when they were spawning. One of our honey holes was steep banked and at the time I didn't know what they were doing but they would stick their head up out of the water and kinda dance on their tales. Now I think they were fanning out a bed but if you were there when they were 'standing on their tales' you could kill them. That was sure some good times.

ST

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Here's a full body shot from the male at Brice Creek. Notice the amount of green in the ventral fins of these guys! You can't make out the caudal fin colors as well as you can in the other picture. This was a 4lb. fish.

Attached Files:

6. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Way to go! That's a pretty bowfin for sure. It's hard to beat this time of year as far as fishing goes. I really like to see them "lit up" in spawning colors.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Conrad, yes they are fun to catch. I find them to be a bother though when I am trying to fish live bluegills in high water for flatheads. The Bowfin around here are a really bright green, I will take a pic if I remember the next time I catch one.

8. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    nice fish havent saw one in *&^%$ years. brought back some memories :) thanks for pix.