Bowfin (Dogfish)

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by nuthinlikeacat, Sep 12, 2005.

1. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Just wondering if people fish dogfish all over the states, or if they are just found in Minnesota.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've never caught one here in Missouri,but I know they are here.

Now there is a lake in Fl. that we take the grandkids to.Full of brown bullhead up to 4 pounds and dogfish up to 12.They are considered a trash fish,but we have a blast catching them.They hit a variety of baits and sometimes lures,sometimes they absolutly crush them.Very good fight with strong runs and occasionally multiple jumps.
    Haven't ever had the nerve to try eating one,but I always release them to fight another day.I hate people that toss the so called trash fish on the bank to die.Not only is it morally wrong,but it stinks also.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    We have plenty of bowfins (mudfish) here in coastal South Carolina, too. They are hard fighters. Some people do eat them, mostly in cold weather, when the flesh is more firm.

4. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Up here in MN they are considered a trash fish also. I do however like to fish for them just because of the fight. I do know some people that eat them, first soaking them in salt and Vinegar for 24 hrs.... :eek:

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Bow fin have several names, depending on what part of the country that you are from. In Louisiana, my home state, they are called grinnels.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ryan,

I was looking up Bowfin on the web one day and found a site, like our own Boc, just for Bowfin. Well its not as good as ours, but still, there is a interest nation wide in that sport....Go figger?:rolleyes:

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    caught a 27incher this last weekend. if i had a program to size i would put a pic on. just got a new puter and dont have a program yet. anyone willing to size and post for me?

lol

8. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    River Scum, e-mail it to me and I will do it for you.

P.S.
    That is definately more help than I was asking for and I will definately take him up on that. I think we are going down on Oct. 2 (5 days befor the tournament). I will give him a call when it gets closer to that date and set something up with him. We are going to be taking 2 boats down with us so he won't have to burn his gas up. Beer will definately be provided...lol Again, Thanks!!!
    I tried to PM you the above info but the system said I had to wait.

9. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Wow... Net thats interesting..if you run across that site again, you'll have to get me the addy. I think I would get a good chuckle looking at that site :D

10. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I always wondered if anyone has ever mounted a bowfin :confused:

11. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    have alot of them in Iowa also .Fun to catch they put up a good fight

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    There used to be a few fishing contests around my area for bowfin, not sure if there still are. They were designed to catch and clean out the population, I think. We have a lot of swamps and small lakes where the bowfin are very thick and can be caught pretty easily. I have to admit they are pure 'muscle & mean', a lot of fun to catch, but I usually don't put them in the boat. A large one can jump around for quite awhile.

13. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Up here in MN, we lived right next to a lake that had a contest every year. I think they had it for the same reason as you said. In late summer they seem to overrun the area lakes in southern MN. Funny thing is, The state record in MN is pretty small, and I have seen bigger ones than the record. Do you suppose people aren't aware of the record, or they just would be embarrassed by having that record?

To me a record fish is a record fish....

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    your welcome catbird. another member sent me your info its already there thx, back at ya.

tight lines bro.

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    lets see if river scum can get a pic on this new site. he he

dogfish- aka bowfin no wieght on this guy but he masured 27inches long

well i did it, but a bit blurry. sorry guys ill get better.(i hope)

Attached Files:

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good catch, river scum, but don't try putting your hand in that mouth, like in your profile pic. lol

17. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Nice pic!! Just seeing those pics make me smile. For the longest time, I thought I was the only one who has had their picture taken with the bowfin.

Also...Netman...thanks for the site addy. I had a chance to view it, and I got a kick out of it. Not that bad of a site. Lots of pics of people standing proud with a smile holding their bowfins! :D What more could you ask for??

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What more could I ask for? A great big one.lol I would post a picture on this site and theirs! I have caught many average Bowfin,but a big fish of any breed would put a smile on my face.;) lol

19. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    i'm glad you all posted that pic. i'm from ohio and i don't know if i've ever even seen one before. they almost look like a dark colored tarpon (at least from that photo) to me. sound like a fun catch. i'll have to give them a shot when i get back to the states.

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good luck with that zman. i wouldnt know how to pattern those things. they just jump on my hook a couple times a year. i think most people still kill them for some dumb reason. :confused:

get home safe z