Bowfin, baby!

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by ChannelCatBen, Jul 12, 2009.

1. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The bowfins have been going nuts around here, and I've been having fun with 'em. I caught this big girl on a sucker head. I wasn't using any weight- just a hook, steel leader, and the bait. Tossed it into a likely looking opening in a weedy patch in the shallows. She was 28.5" long, 15" around, and weighed just over 9 pounds.

Who else loves hooking these hard-fighting beasts?

[​IMG]

2. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I haven't caught one of those in a long time. When I was younger we would go every saturday to a slough and fish for grinnel. Man, that brings back some memories. I loved it.:big_smile:

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    they fight real good. prehistoric lookin.

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I have never got one but i have seen some guys pull them through the ice..i here they are some good eatin!!there are a cod aint they?

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ben, what is the skinny on these, fish for them like catfish?

6. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah them guys are fun to catch..We called them choupoqie...We use to catch em in dead end canals...There was a spot me and my cousin used to go to that was a dead end canal and there was a sunken shrimping boat that seemed to be full of em..Always caught them with worms under a cork..They were 3-5 lbs on average..They would also hit lil beetle spinners and would sometimes catch em with live shiners under a cork..

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    That rite there is a fine lookin bowfin. THANX!

8. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    Man we have grinnel down here by the thousands! Wanna catch one just come to south MS and fish a dead lake. They hit Bass lures, crappie lures, bream lures, catfish lures, they hit em all! To me they're just a nuisance, but they sure will fight! They look pretty wild, but boy do they stink! Just don't know if I could bring myself to try eatin one. I guess to each his own!

9. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well, that's one way to do it... they'll take a variety of different baits and presentations. Most guys up here catch them by accident fishing for bass. I was sight fishing, using a 3/0 octopus hook and a sucker head, tied on to 20# power pro (a steel leader is helpful - they have some sharp teeth). Just dropped it into a likely looking hole in the weeds, and bam! I've gotten a few more at the same spot, most in the same way. They like meat, whether it's alive or dead.

They are fun, but I havent tried eating one. Don't know if I would. I'd have to be pretty hungry.

They've been around for 150 million years, so they must be doing something right.

10. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    I would catch them in Michagan at night on spinnerbaits.