Bowersock in Lawrence

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by here2learn, Aug 30, 2009.

1. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    So I bought a boat at the beginning of the summer, thinking I would catch more fish with it. Well I took my dad out Crappie/Bass fishing yesterday morning and ran the trolling motor battery down(which we use at night in the Waki)and didn't have a chance to charge it. So my buddy calls me up and says we should go fishing, and I tell him about the battery, so he suggests Bowersock, since we both live 1/2 mile from it. We fished there a lot before the boat, so I figured why not?

We went and got some some gills/sunfish at a local pond, then got down there about 7:00pm. We set up with Katbobbers, down about 5 ft, and threw in. Almost instantly, my bobber goes down. First fish was the big one, 25 lbs-ish(no scale). Hell of a fight, he kept trying to go back under the dam. I didn't have a chance to set out my other poles, so I threw one of them in while I re-baited the first one. Then that pole goes down, and it's another flattie.

Then it gets dark, and my partner is still having no luck, and some other guys show up and start fishing. Baitclicker goes off, and another flathead. Ten minutes later, another flattie just like that one. My friend is using the same bait and our lines aren't 5 feet from each other, and he played net man all night. What a guy! I don't get it. I usually have a hell of a time trying to catch one flathead, and somehow caught 4 last night.

Things I learned here: They bite early round there, bluegill work well, the river doesn't have to be up for good fishing, and the north side is better than the south(and easier to access). And you don't need a boat to catch good fish.

The two bigger fish were released, but the two smaller ones I gave to the other guys down there because they needed them more than I did.

PS the bigger one is by far my PB!!!!

Attached Files:

2. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What's up with the last picture?

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats on the new pb. Looks about 15 lbs or so to me.:wink:
    Dont get the last pic.:confused2:

4. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
  5. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Last pic was to my friend taking the picture. He was giving me a hard time for being the only one catching fish. And it felt like a lot more than 15 lbs.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  6. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Sounds like fun Steve....Got to love it when you are the one catchin fish!

7. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    Sounds like a really nice night of fishing......congrats and please dont flip me off again it makes me sad:sad2:

8. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Steve,

I have never fished Bowersock Dam before here in Lawrence. Do you catch a lot of junk fish there? Not that I mind reeling in a big carp, drum, or buffalo for the fight, but I like to catch cats better. :smile2: I think I shall try this place out. Maybe bring my Wife. She likes to sit and fish more than running and gunning on the river with me. LOL:wink:

9. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Thad, I'd say it would be perfect for you guys. We didn't move all night and did pretty good. The lights from the bridge keep it fairly well lit down there. The only downside is sometimes there are annoying homeless bums down there, but they are mostly on the south side(below Abe and Jakes). They are working on the intersection north of the bridge, so you will have to park and walk a bit if you fish the north side. Let me know if you go on a weekend, I'd be happy to meet you down there, as I live about 5 blocks away.

10. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Id say 15 lber.Either way its a nice catch and a good night of fishing for you.All the flats where caught on live bluegill?

11. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Bluegill or green sunfish anywhere from 3in to 6in long. I really need to bring the scale with me next time!

12. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok Steve, I would like to meet you all down there some time. I know where you are talking about there on the North side. I have walked around down there but never fished it. I will get Momma together one of these weekends and give you a hollar. We will go try and catch us some. l would love to meet you all anyway. See ya soon!