BOW versus GUN

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by CWARob, Dec 18, 2009.

1. CWARob

CWARob New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I believe a true hunter is a bow hunter. As a bow hunter you have to get within 40 yards or less to get a good clean shot. You have to do some pre season scouting to find where the deer are traveling and bedding. You need to be scent free and hunting the wind is huge. You need to find the food source in your location and also how is the hunting pressure. you set out your game camera to find that big buck and set your treestand according to all the other information you gathered. As a gun hunter all I have to do is get in a spot where I can see about 400 yards and wait for the deer to come in the opening and put the crosshairs on him and pull the trigger. Don't get me wrong, I like to gun hunt, it is a fun time for me but bowhunting is where the ture hunters are. Do you guys agree?

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    To me a true hunter does not set in a tree or a ground blind. They still hunt or spot and stock. Hunting with a gun or bow is up the person hunting. there is no one right way to hunt.

3. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    If you believe a true hunter must use a bow to kill an animal then how do you justify the advantage you get by using a tree stand, or your scent free products, how bout your high fangled game camera ? How far should we take this? Don't you gain an advantage by driving to your hunting area? wouldn't it be more sporting if you used just your two feet to get to the hunting area? Makes about as much sence as someone saying the only true hunter is a bow hunter. or saying the only truck is a chevy. It's all a personal choice and as long as we are within the scope of the law how ever we choose to hunt is our choice. and to say that they are not a true hunter because they do not like to be just like you is messed up! If we all liked to do things the same way this ol world would be a pretty boring place...
    larry

4. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    I get naked then kill with my bare hands :004:
    ballsey post! welcome to the B.O.C. Rob

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use a gun because I like to see them die right then. I don't like to watch them crawl off and die on the neighbor's property. You're right, though, it gives more advantage to the deer. As a hunter...I want the advantage to be mine, not theirs. Then again, I hunt 80% for food, 10% for fun, 5% because I can, and 5% for the sport of it. Someday I'll prolly get bored and start shooting them with a bow...who knows. The season is longer and less competitive. Those would be the 2 main reasons for me to add archery season to my to do list. I hunt from the ground 99.9% of the time, either sitting or still hunting. This year, I walked right up to a deer and shot it at 20-30 yards. Had no idea I was there. Maybe a real hunter would only be armed with a camera. That would be pretty fun too.

6. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Bob, weclome to the BOC. I hunt both ways gun and bow. Some of what you have stated apply to both.....personally I don't believe that one or the other.......is.....how shall I say this, more Honorable than the other? I've hunted with a gun on the ground stalking to within 20yds of a deer when the wind is right, so that's just as close as bowhunting. As humans we have used our brains to create weapons from the spear, atlatl, bow and gun to give use the ability to take prey, because we are not fast enough, strong enough or ferocious enough to do otherwise.....so I see one being no different than the other.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Real hunters will throw away the crossbows, compound bows, and any other bow of modern development. He will pitch the scentloc clothing, attractor scents, rattle bags, plastic can doe calls, and tree stands. Another biggie is lose the modern steel broadheads and hunt with wooden arrows and flint.

meanwhile, I will use every bit of the latest technology in guns, ammo, clothes, calls, scents, and whatever and have a ball hunting all the deer everyone else isn't getting.

8. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Cute Ken...but very facetious....:wink: even flint tipped arrows are of our creation.

9. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you got it brother why not even up the odds use everything to your advantage thats smart

10. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like hunting because I like to hunt. Bow and gun are both enjoyable to me. Its more about the hunting than the taking cause that is what you are doing most of the time.

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Being a hunter, has little to do with the means of taking, or harvesting the prey. IMO

and, with archery,,, modern stuff, ancient stuff, or somewhere in between?,,I killed my first Elk in 1979, with a Wing compound,, 17 yds and, have killed them at 30 yds with a 7mm Mag..as well as reach out and touch'm ranges!!
    Have used a Longbow to snipe jackrabbits.. Great fun. as well as using pistols.
    I've used an Open sighted, Hammer, .375 Flanged Mag Double Rifle to kill antelope and Elk.

What about the hog hunters, that use a knife??
    Gigging Frogs..
    Trapping animals, like the pitfalls used in Africa..:eek:oooh:
    Native American buffalo hunters running them from horseback,, woohoo!!

I've always wanted to drop out of a tree onto the back of an elk, and grab his horns and drive him to my truck, then shoot him in the back of the head, as I leap off!!:crazy::wink::smile2:

The local villagers, don't care how the meat gets on the table!! :big_smile: I think it's just as important to do it Ethically no matter the method. And, whatever works for the Hunter..

12. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Greg I love it.. hows about we get in a tree stand and drop a concrete block on their head........:smile2::smile2::smile2::crazy:

13. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Rob , welcome to the BOC.I agree that bowhunting is more challenging , but in todays bows shooting well over 300 f.p.s. you still have a good advantage to say the least.I will also never forget the first deer killed with a bow or gun.To me the hunt is always enjoyable and fun.Thank goodness that with todays deer population there is room for all hunters.Today it is not uncommon to see 20 plus deer a day.I can remeber when if you seen a deer all season you were excited.

14. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    dropping out of a tree on to a elk lol come over and drop onto Clyde!

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    welcome to the boc. i think bow and gun are different flavors and can't be compared. i do both, and enjoy the hell out of both. trail cameras? i've never hunted with a preview, but it's not my thing. i spot and stalk on public land and get my deer every year. if i put out a treestand or a camera, it would be gone by lunchtime. i carry out my deer and hike in to the hunting area. any way you want to hunt, that's cool. good luck this year.

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    We're all hunters here. Doesn't really matter what weapon of choice we use. I opted for the bow around 10 yrs. ago. Thankfully, a friend of mine, introduced me to archery and I never looked back. It's been a passion of mine and I love it. To me it's more of a challenge! Period!! Archery requires a routine of around 30 physical and mental functions, before the arrow is on the way. Shooting a gun requires less than half that much. Simply, archery is more of a challenge and the individual has to practice religiously to stay in mental and physical shape for the hunt. Believe me, the animal senses are intensified, when dealing with a hunter at close range, more than being hunted from longer distances. As with gun hunting, for the most part.

Not to discriminate against gun hunters at all. Just be ethical about it and have fun doing it!! Be smart and safe!!

Scent control, camo, stands are all part of dealing with the animals in there enviroment.

Today, animals are way more educated than ever before!! More hunters, less habitat, makes hunting more of a challenge than our forefathers dealt with. That's a fact!!:wink:

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Oh Yeah!! Speaking of challenge with weapons!! Imagine dealing with the Cape Buffalo (Black Death) of Africa with the Bow and Arrow!! Men and Women have meant the challenge and won. Then some are not so lucky!! Better have your chit straight when the time arrives. Shots of 20-30yds. is max when dealing with these human killing beasts!! I have a freind that's doing it, maybe next year and I hope he makes it back for the story!! Thinking he will!!:wink:

18. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Bubbacat,,,,Looks like a Beer you're giving to Clyde!!! No wonder he comes to you when you call,,,, LOL :0a10: Glad you got a picture of him on here..

But, if I tried that,, probably about like an Elk,, The outcome would prolly be the same,,
    I'd be bloody hamburger, and the creature would be annoyed!! :crazy::big_smile:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  19. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm pretty white so I would have to at least rub mud on myself! Natural camo!:smile2:

20. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma

A bad shot with a gun OR bow is still a bad shot that can cripple an animal. Lots of people, make bad shots with guns. What caliber do you shoot? The deer I shoot don't always fall right there. I have had deer run farther from a good hit from my 7 mag than my bow.