bow reviews

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by crusinman2002, Feb 23, 2009.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey yall, went to a bass pro shops and got to shoot 2 bows. figured i would write up a little review so to say, just to put out my experience with the 2 bows i shot.

first bow i shot was the fred bear truth 2

bass pro shops price, bare bow, $699.99

Positives:
    really really smooth draw
    quiet
    really fast
    comfortable grip
    good groupings
    arrow hit the back wall at 30 yards the same time i heard any noise from the bow.
    no hand shock when i shot with factory setup
    really balanced, didn't need a stabilizer

negitives:
    the anodized green (IMO) isn't dull enough for a really sunny day in the woods, could give a glare if the sun hits it just right.

second bow was the new 2009 PSE bow madness ready to shoot

bass pro shops price, ready to shoot includes bow, whisker biscuit rest, 5 pin fiber optic sight, one piece 6 arrow quiver, peep sight, and nocking loop standard "medium" $719.99

Positives:
    really light, the standard "medium" weighs in at 3.5 pounds, plus accessories. i held the bow out in front of me for quite some time before my arm started to get any sway to it
    super fast
    quiet, had the same noise results as the truth 2 where the arrow hit the backwall at 30 yards the same time i heard noise from the bow
    really aggressive cam, but still a smooth draw.
    nearly "robin hooded" at 30 yards with the stock settings on the sights
    great groupings out of the box
    no noise from the accessories factory installed
    no shock was noticed
    really well balanced, could use a small stabilizer, but could shoot all day without one
    comes in 3 sizes to fit you better, XS "small" standard "medium" XL "large" as size increases the price and weight increases. Above price and weight are for the Standard "medium" size.

negitives:
    the grip, the grip is just too narrow, it cause the bow to wanna torque in my hand at first, had to readjust were the grip sat in my hand to prevent torque.

both of the bows are great bows, and i wouldn't mind owning either of them. they both shot great out of the box, its a tough choice on which bow is better, cause that is going to vary from person to person. if anyone has any other questions about these 2 bows, just let me know and i will get back to you.

if anyone else has any bow reviews, feel free to post them here.

i will have more reviews to come once i can get to another bass pro shops and try out some more. planning on spending a whole day there once i get the money to buy a new bow and shooting every bow they have :) that will be a fun day.

2. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    You forgot the price as a negative. :eek:oooh: I'd love to buy a new bow, but not at those prices. Ouch. I'll have to stay with my 15 year old Hoyt for a few more years.

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin

well... for the price, the "lower end" fred bear's are still really good bows. take the bear archery showdown. bass pro shops has it for $299.99, still a high quality bow, but its a little bit slower, actually weighs 0.1 pounds less than the truth 2, has a bit more agressive of a cam which will make the draw a little less smooth. but for the price, with it being brand new, its a really good budget bow. i have a friend that shoots one, and says the he will never shoot another bow. and if anything, if you can set aside $100 a month, than in 7 1/2 months you have plenty saved up for a bow and accessories, just in time to start practicing for hunting season. but i hear where you are coming from with how the economy is right now.

4. crazycat1

crazycat1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I shoot a Martin Jaguar and i have killed some great deer, 1 was 22 pts and scored 194 inches after deductions. The only drawback is that when the temps hit the teens the bow creaks at the riser. I have applied bow wax to it, but it cost me a 150 class deer this year.:confused2: Otherwise this has been a wonderful 700 dollar investment. I would rate an 8 on the 1-10 scale.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    negitives:
    the grip, the grip is just too narrow, it cause the bow to wanna torque in my hand at first, had to readjust were the grip sat in my hand to prevent torque

Question? When testing these bows, did you use a wrist strap? You claimed the grip was too narrow. From what I know, a grip on a bow can never be too narrow. Meaning: the more narrow the grip, the better. Under most bow manufactures, most companies that make bows, make the grips more narrow to help eliminate torque. Some pros, after receiving a bow, they take off the grip and shoot only using the riser. Sounds like your GRIP can use some fine tuning or you are torqueing the bow after the shot. Not to discriminate your shooting or tests at all. But when gripping the bow, make sure the pressure is on the meaty part on the palm. Try this: put some hand lotion on your grip hand and draw the bow. Your hand should slide into place. This is your grip. Always keep the fingers relaxed and your hand should be relaxed too! Just some info to help.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    On my BPS Kronik I dont like the grip at all...Solution was a glove. Now it feels just right and my groups tightened 100%. :wink:

7. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin

on the bow madness, thats all it is is the riser, and then on the sides of the riser there are a couple of little rubber pieces, that is all there is for a grip. the way i have always shot is by putting the grip in the fatty area between my thumb and pointing finger. but as i said, just had to make an adjustment with my hold and it stopped trying to torque. i'm not saying that its not the way i shoot that caused the torquing, as i've always shot with more grip than that. just gotta keep in mind that everyone has just a little bit of a different shooting style, and griping style, and everything.. lol... but thank you for the input, and the hand lotion idea.

8. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i just started bowhunting 2 years ago and i shot a diamond edge. the bow shot accurate and it was quiet. i added a mini s-coil stabilizer and a string tamer master which made it better. i just sold the today and ill be getting the redhead kronik in a week or 2.

9. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I bought a PSE stinger last August from BPS and I love it. It fits me perfect and it may not be the fastest bow but it does the job.

10. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I was going to buy the Kronik but they were on back order. The PSE and the Kronik were my top choices. Here are some pic's of my bow.

Attached Files:

11. ia flathead

ia flathead New Member

State:
    iowa
    been shooting a pse x force ts this year super quite, super fast, dead on cant ask for more but anyhting pse has my vote