Bow question for beginner bow hunters.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by nitronostrils, Oct 1, 2007.

1. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Lately I've been kicking around the idea of getting into bowshooting for recreation at first then eventually taking this into hunting.

Questions:

Does the persons height basically determine the bow size, to make it feel comfortable for the drawback?

I'm a lefty so I'm assuming most equipment is versatile?

Lastly, is there a good bow for beginners that would be good for practice and then later for hunting?

I'm sure there's other factors but thats all I have to ask for now. Thanks for the time and advise that will follow.

2. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Your bow does not have anything to do with height. It has to do with the length of your arms. Its called draw length. Since you are a lefty you should look at a left hand bow. There is a difference. However, one of my hunting buddies is right handed but shoots lefty and my brother is just the opposite. Most bows on the market can be used for both recreational shooting and hunting. As long as the peek weight is is over 45lbs (in Texas). Go to a proshop and have them check your draw length. Then you can start looking around for a bow. Try several bows before purchasing one. There is usually a bow that fits you better and is more comfortable than others.

3. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    brian is right,draw length is determined by the length of your arms.you must buy a bow in either left hand or right they are not reversible.make sure you have some one check your draw length buying a bow thats to short or to long for you can ruin your form and make shooting a bow frustrating.for beginners i recommend buying a bow that is already set up sights, rest ready to shoot.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Actually, just because you are left handed doesn't mean that you have to shoot left handed. It's a matter of which eye is dominant. I am right handed, but left eye dominant, so even after years of shooting right handed, I can now shoot better left handed, after only a year with a left handed bow. To determine which eye is dominant, hold a finger up in front of you and line it up with an object. Now close one eye and see if the finger is still on the object. Then close the other eye and check again. One eye will "move' the finger, and one eye won't. It's best to shoot with the dominant eye as it helps with depth perception and distance judgment.

5. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Thanks for the info.

Never been to a Bass Pro Shop, only order fishing gear online. If I would travel to a BPS would they steer me in the right direction or just try to make a sell?

6. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I think you would be happier with Cabelas.. I went to both last weekend and at Cabelas you got more for your money.. Also try a local shop, they are usually friendlier and have used equipment for sale...

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am a lefty also but due to parkison's had to switch to right hand. Your draw lenght will also be determined on where your anchor point is. Some people anchor on chin and some behind chin almost to their ear. Lefty bows in pawn shops are dirt cheap. I have found they will usually take any offer due to them not knowing when the next lefty might show up. If this is a route you take be sure to take it to a proshop and have it checked out before shooting!! Let them restring it and tune it for you. They will also steer you to arrow lenghts. Good Luck!!

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    After trying them out at BP and Cabelas and finding out my draw length.. I spent most of Sunday online and finally got one off of Ebay.. It should be here in the next couple days.. I didn't want to spend much on one till I find out if I can Physically use one.. Carpal Tunnel in both wrists and arthritis in the shoulders.. I'm gonna give it my best.. Hopefully I'll be looking at new bows in a month or so...

9. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    bass pro shop and cabelas have great bow packages for sale but i dont think most of the salesman know much about setting up bows.the local archery shops is where the experts usually are they are a little more expensive but its worth it.

10. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would also highly reccomend a local archery shop.

Most will have there own range to try different bows out and will probably have good used bows also.

Those guys should be able to fit the bow properly and get you all the accessories you need.

11. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa

I agree!!! I have had nighmares with both on arrows. It is a assembly line and I have had knocks fall off and inserts come out. The salesmen I dealt with were probably selling bass lures the day before. They didnt know jack squat!! You go to the local guy he has only one thing to keep you coming back experience and good service. Think you not going back to bass or cabelas will bother them? Your a number!!! :crazy::embarassed:

12. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Well you guys must have read my mind about local shops. I drive for a living and I usually stop at this mom and pop gas station/ deli market to grab acouple of their hamburgers for the road. While waiting I was looking at the auction flyers and nestled among them was a flyer for a archery shop that is far closer then a BPS or Cebelas. So jotted down the vitals and plan making a visit. Thanks.

13. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    support your local shop. they will be there to help with any problems or questions that you will come across.

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    No, but you will have to determine your draw weight and draw length that is comfortable for shooting and accuracy.

You will need a left handed bow but keep in mind if you are left or right right EYE dominant. You might have to learn to shoot right handed

Focus on getting a good hunting bow. Your hunting bow will be your practice bow. When you practice, try to picture yourself in hunting situations such as:
    1. aiming and shooting down as if you were in a tree stand
    2. if hunting from the ground, practice shooting while kneeling
    3. some situations will require you to wait longer than normal at full draw before shooting.
    4. other situations might require a quick draw and release.

15. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Jeremy... How about an update on your search for a Bow