Bow or stern mount trolling motor?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by thunderchicken, Mar 16, 2007.

1. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I would like to ask your advice about which is the best type and position to mount an electric trolling motor. It will be on a 14 foot deep vee. I have heard that bow mounted is more efficient, I assume that means it takes less energy to pull a boat and thus requires less amps than it is to push a boat. I may be wrong about that. Also, how much space inside the boat does a bow mount along with the controls take up? The less clutter the better. While I have been around boats a lot growing up we never had a trolling motor so your input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    :cool2:

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mike,
    In my opinion, go with the bow mount. It does seem to pull easier than push, but mainly it is alot easier to manuver. You will be turning from the bow, pivoting on the stearn, rather than turning from the stearn and swinging all 14' of your boat out of harms way. Good luck.:cool2:

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    If you plan to do any controlled drifting the bow mounted motor would be better...W

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 2 boats 1 Lowe 1654, and a Cajun 17, I have a transom mounted trolling motor on the Lowe and a bow mounted on the Cajun. I fish from the rear of the boat on both, we use the Lowe a lot and drift from it using the trolling motor to keep us where we need to be, the Cajun has never had the trolling motor even turned on except to make sure it worked at home. My thought is put it where you are going to fish from. Just my opinion.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You'll get much better control with a bow mount, but it takes the same amount of energy to move a boat at a given speed.

The bow mount is more expensive, and will take up more space, but it seems to be the most popular, by a pretty good margin.

I don't know how or where you plan to use it, but you can use a stern mounted motor to pull you stern first...it's called back trolling and gives excellent control of position and speed. Something to consider...

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Position seems to be a function of the type of fishing you do.the Bassers are up front on the casting deck so they can alway be probing new water and it gives them better manueverability.Walleys guys,trollers etc tend to favor the rear because they fish from the rear.You will need a deck for your foot control unless you get the Minnkota with the electronic controls.:smile2:

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I've had three small boats with both bow mount and transom mounts...
    I have not had the big bow mount motor, as I have made a bracket in three cases to accomodate a transom mount for them......

control from the front is better... but the consideration is how easy is it to go from the back of the boat to the front....If you're at the front and need more push, then you have to go back and start up the kicker motor.

Again... got to figure what part of the boat you'll be fishing from and go from there.....

bayrunner ray

8. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Thanks guys. You all bring up important points to consider. It probably will be used mainly for drift control and boat positioning rather than just trolling. Appreciate your thoughts.
    :cool2:

9. knockdown

knockdown New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have bow mount with the control cord going back to where i sit in back and it works great good control and everything can manuever quickly and effortlessly.
    knockdown