Bow mount om a V-bow alum.

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by 155truck, Feb 18, 2009.

1. 155truck

155truck New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'm thinking about mounting a minn-kota power drive 2 on the bow of my 14' alum. V-bow,any sugestions or comments,looking at a 40# w/48" shaft,or a 55# w/54" shaft. I will build a deck for it so I think it will work fine.I well come any feed back,Thanks.

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    After 10 posts you can post pictures, I think that would help us out more. I have a 15' V with a bow mount. I mounted mine to the Bow cover that most V's have on them. I can go to the storage and take a pic if you need me to.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. There is a specil feeling when you design and rig your own boat. Good luck on the project mentioned.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

4. 155truck

155truck New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey,that would be great.I was thinking about taking the bow cover off and using 3/4" plywood (making a small deck for it),trim to the shape of the bow and use bolts to attach it to the rim. That way i could mount the motor at an angle so when it is in the up position it will lay to the side.
    Also what do you think about the minn-kota power track 2, I've read lots of reveiws,lots of good ones,some bad. I think it is a good pick. Thanks for your input.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    How big is the bow cover on your boat? My cover was just big enough to get 4 of the six bolts in it. I put mine on so when the motor is lifted up the motor shaft runs as close as parallel to the side of the boat. The only thing that sticks out is the motor head some.

6. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Post some pictures of the before and after. Im wanting to do the exact thing to my 14ft v-hull but I cant think of any ways to do it.

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Here is a pic that might help till I get out to the boat storage. It's a small pic and from a distance but you can see how the bow cover plate is and the way it is set up. I should be going out to the boat storage area in the next couple days. The way I set it up is I had the motor in the folded up position and I laid it on the bow plate and moved it around till I got it were the most mounting holes were able to be used. This worked out to be real close to running even with the side of the boat when in the folded position so to even it out with the side I just move it an inch or so. So now when folded up the motor does not stick out much and does not take up much room.

I do not have any real before pics that shows the bow plate.