Bow Maintenance

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ozzy, Mar 11, 2009.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I've read alot on here about bows, arrows, poundage and etc... but what about bow maintenance? I use Bohning Xccelerator Wax after everytime i shoot. I just slop it on the string.(Not The Serving) and work it in with my fingers. Then I use a patch I cut from a car shammy and rub it well which takes off the excess. So far my srings look like new with no fraying at all. On my cam bearings I just use my Hoppes #9 Lubricating Oil, it doesnt have a smell, to me anyways like teflon or other high performance oils.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thats about all i know to do Ozzy. Eventually after 1,000's of shots you may have to replace axil bushings. Glad your enjoying this archery stuff the way you seem to be. Seen pics of your shooting and you have done very well. :wink:

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks Buddy, I'm hooked for as long as I can pull a bow. I keep thinking about another bow but think it will throw me off shooting more than one. After all this one is named Sarah like from Alaska. :roll_eyes: She kind of likes the wax treatments so far. :wink:

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Just use your fingers for waxing.. You know when it gets too warm... Any thing else will heat the strings and cables too much and weakin them.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Good info! No need to overdo the waxing on the strings, especially when plink shooting. I usually wax mine when the strings feel dry. Using my fingers. I apply the wax with a thin coat and if I get to much wax on. I'll take a piece of dental floss and wrap it around the string going up and down to take off the excess. Always good to wax the serving to. Apply wax on the serving and string, close to the cams, where the rollover point is. The serving is always prone to wear at this location.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I guess I need to wax them also (the servings) I was told different from a pro shop but the pro shops around here sure differ in opinion. Mark do you use a bow press and wax the entire string or just where you can wax on the servings? Ive read about some SCORPION brand liquid string stuff also but havent tried it yet. This is some good info folks.:cool2:

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Thanks Ozzy! I don't own a bow press. I just wax the string and serving where I can. Sometimes, I'll draw the bow back and have a friend wax the serving around the cams. I use Winners Choice wax and cleaner for my strings and servings, but any quality wax should do fine. I heard about Scorpions wax products. they sound really good! With normal shooting and maintainance, a bow string should last for around 2 years, providing the string is of good quality.

I recommend a cleaner for the bow string, especially after a hunt or shooting in a dirty enviroment. The wax can collect dirt and has abrasive qualities than can break down the string fibers. Using a cleaner will take off the old wax and you can put fresh wax on. I usually clean mine every 2 to 3 mos. regardless of the enviroment I'm shooting in. During hunting season more!

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks, I gotta check into the string cleaner, I just keep putting on wax. Living in the desert I know about dirt all to much. P.S. I started out using Bohning Tex-Tile Wax but it was like using a candle, the Bohning Xccelerator Wax is more like chap stick and inpregnates in to the string. Good stuff