bow hunters

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Catfishkid24, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Catfishkid24

Catfishkid24 New Member

State:
    ohio
    im looking to get a new bow for my birthday and i dont know which one i should get any suggestions? I was thinkin a mathews

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    mathews are one of the finest, they have a few youth models too.

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would agree I got my first mathews a month ago and will never go back to anything else, but there are many other good bows out there also. Just have to go with what is in your budget and make the best of it.

4. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    try to find somewhere that you can go shoot a few of em. there may be one you like more than the others. i personally feel its hard to go wrong with any of the big name companies (Bear, Bowtech, mathews, hoyt, pse, parker...just to name a few)

5. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    PSE ALL THE WAY. Mattews (catch us if you can) LMAO:smile2::smile2::smile2::tounge_out: What a joke. In all honesty I shoot a pse because it was within my budget. If i was to buy a new one Id go with bear the truth 2. All good bows but a little pricey imo. I shot a ross bow last year and to be honest with ya it was the nicest feelin bow i ever been around just my 2 cents:big_smile:

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Tyler!! Welcome to the world of Archery!! For starters, the best advice I can give you is to go to an Archery Pro Shop and find a bow that fits you correctly!! Draw length, draw weight, feel. I beleive your new to this and don't worry so much about what brand of bow it is. Honestly, I'm a Hoyt shooter and have been so for years, but at this point of time any bow that fits you, you should be comfortable with and maybe graduate to a little hard-core bow in the future.

More advice. If your serious about this. Practice alot. I mean don't over do it from the start, but keep your practice regimen intact. Around 20 shots every 3 days or so. Get the feel of the bow down, form, stance, grip, release and follow through are the key. Have an experienced shooter watch you and go through the steps with you!! By no time, you'll be shooting lights out!!

are you thinking about a fingers or release bow? if were me, I would start out shooting fingers and then graduate to the release. Todays' bows are extremely accurate and shooting them is a pleasure!! Good luck on the purchase and post about your progress!!

Congrats!!
    Mark..

7. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    you're definitly on the right track, mathews has some if the the best bows out at the moment

8. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Mathews bow are great, but so are many others. I never really gave much thought to Hoyt until I shot my friends. I loved the feel instantly. Then went and out and got one. This was after I said my current could still put 5+ deer in the freezer a year so why do I need to spend more money for the same results. My bow was about 16 years old and well taken care of. Now its just collecting dust. I still love that bow and occasionally shoot it but the Hoyt is the new baby. As said earlier, go to some shops and shoot all different brands. Dont take someones word for such a costly investment. Make that investment on your personal feel.

9. Someoneelse

Someoneelse New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    WOW asking what type of bow to get is opening a can of woems LOL. THere are several great bows out there. Personaly I can never seem to go along with the crowd. I own a High Country Iron Mace 31" draw @ 66lbs shooting ST Epic 340 with Spitfire broadheads. I cronoed the bow at H&H gun range last month set up to hunt, and with my hunting arrows it is slinging them at 308FPS, little hand shock,and very quiet.

Good luck in your search.

Jason

10. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    As was stated before a bow shop and maybe an experienced archer would be a good starting point. The key to accurate archery and hunting success is practice, practice and a little more practice. Dont over do it at first, pulling a bow uses muscles most have never used before. We started the nephews at 3-5 shots a day till they had built the muscles up. They are all into the 30lb draw range. Any name brand bow will be a good one, some are better deals then others. I tend to shy away from split limbs but some swear by them.

11. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mines a PSE and I love it. :big_smile:

12. slipperycreekcritter

slipperycreekcritter New Member

State:
    north carolina
    It is really great to see a young man take up the art of bowhunting.Many try it , but few master the art.I have been bowhunting over 30 yrs. and have tried many,many bows over that 30 yrs.The best advice I can share with you about bow hunting.Find a bow that is comfortable & affortable for you and practice everyday.Myself I shoot a pse triton.Any bow will hit its target if it is tuned / sighted properly.The man behind bow is the most important factor.

Happy Birthday and Good Hunting !!!

13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I shot all the top of the line bows when i went bow shopping and money was not an option at the time. I was going to spend whatever it cost for the bow I wanted. I chose the ross cardiac. It shot the smoothest to me and is really quiet too. I have over 1300 into it tho. So it better shoot good. But there are other quality bows out there. just try and get somewhere where you can shoot them first and talk to the people there.

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I shoot a Brownning always have always will . There are many bow makers . I would go with what ever makes you happy.

15. slipperycreekcritter

slipperycreekcritter New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Find a bow that is comfortable & affordable for you and practice everyday.The man behind is the most important part of bow hunting.

Happy birthday & good hunting !!!

16. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    i would defiantly shoot several bows before making a decision.i went to my local archery shot thinking i was gonna buy 1 particular bow and ended up getting 1 i wasn't even considering at the time.
    went with intentions on buying a Hoyt vectrix and bought a PSE firestorm x.to me it was smoother and i shot 1 hell of a group with the owners bow which i had never shot before.
    so as everyone else says,get 1 that's comfortable for you.Not what everyone else has or says is good.the more comfortable you are with it the better your gonna shoot.
    good luck brother hope you get a bow you like!

17. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ive been shooting a Point Blank for over 10 years and it was used when I bought it. If I ever get another one it will probably be a recurve.

Go to pro shops and try some bows out. Most pro shops will let you try them out. Maybe ask some friends and family of similar size to you to shoot theirs a couple times and see what you like and is comfortable for you. Their are many brands out there on the market so try a few out and see what you like. Pro shops may also have some used bows that will cost you significatly less than new.

I did it the hard way when I was 12. I bought the first bow that came along because I wanted a bow and it ended up being all wrong for me. Too long a draw lenght ect ect. Then my cousin took me under his wing and got me set up right. Take your time and find what is right for you!

18. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    If you have the money, mathews, elite, hoyt, and bowtech are great brands. If not, there are some more inexpensive brands like diamond (which is made by bowtech), bear, PSE, and parker are all good. My bow is a redhead kronik, which is only $400 for the package and is a fast, quiet, and light bow.