Bow Fishing

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Carp Killer, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    How come there is not a bowfishing thread on this site? I don't see anything wrong with it as long as only NON SPORT FISH are being bowfished.Bowfishing does nothing but help all other fishing as long as a person shoots only what they are supposed to.We have cleaned up alot of the local lakes and have heard nothing but good comments from all the regular fishermen.The water clears up,more vegetation for game fish habbitat,the list goes on and on.At least give it a think felles.If its not going the way you like all you have to do is close it.I personaly put alot of meat in the freezer each year doing this from gar and grass carp that other fishermen would just throw up on the bank.Thanks!!!

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Theres a club that comes down to Truman and LOZ that has night trnys. all the time. Pretty cool to see there boat set ups. Big generators to run there flood lights and stands on the bows to shoot from. These guys have more money in there rigs than most catfishermen. I think its a good thing as they target gar and carp.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i never did any bow fishing till last week. it was hot and time to walk back to the truck and we found a long pool full of carp. we shot them with our deer hunting broadheads. i shot 6 and now i am looking for a reel to use, and of course a real fishing arrow.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bow fish for carp during May spawn on the upper James River from my canoe. It's a lot of fun. I take the fish to my friends from Laos. They make a real good soup out of them.

5. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Heres a picture of my boat i use in tourneys bowfishing.It has 8 500 watt halogens on it right now.I'm getting ready to mount up 6 400 watt MH's for more light and less draw on the genny.I agree 100% with trash fish only and NO game fish.

Attached Files:

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Nice boat, Love the name:smile2:

7. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Bow fishing can only be good for a lake or river. It is a good sport to introduce kids into. The acton is always on and they love it. I also combine it with catfishing as I will shoot several carp, put them on ice, and use them for fresh cut bait on my lines. Blue cat love them here in Texas. Catfishjon

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I bowfish the local Neosho River here in Se Kansas...it's a shallow river full of carp, buffalo, and gar.

The carp and buffalo I have used for practice in the past...until I figured out that the eggs...while they're still in the sack....are dynamite for catfish and wiper bait.

The gar eggs are even better...and gar meat is not bad table fare either.

I don't clean them myself...but my buddy cleans and cooks his...and at our fish fry's throws a heaping plate of steaming deep fried gar nuggets out with our froglegs, walleye, crappie, jumbo bluegills, spoonbill, and catfish.

It always gets ate...right along with everything else...walleye first tho...hehehe.

I normally set up close to the dam around some sunken willow trees or an eddy...and get plenty of shots...but ya gotta be quick...they surface for about 2 seconds and that's it...it takes awhile to get where you should be placing your arrow....low and forward (Against the current)...as most gar constantly move forward when they're feeding.

Unless they are seeking refuge...then there might be dozens huddled behind the branches of a submerged willow tree...on a good day...maybe a hundred.

One day when the river was rolling...about a mile downstream there was a tree they had chosen to hunker down behind...there must have...oh hell...I don't know...a thousand?

We picked and chose the bigger females...got 47 that day between the three of us...and more than enough eggs for catfish bait the rest of the year.

9. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    NIce shooting!!! We only eat them in the spring when the big females are out.The little males aren't worth cleaning but sure are fun to shoot.We mainly shoot the Neosho River and Big Hill Lake in between tourneys to keep us shootin good.The tourneys keep us pretty busy during the summer.Lots of shoots over in missouri and a few in oklahoma.Going to Texes this spring to do some gater gar killin.

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Thanks...when they're bunched up in large groups like they were that day it's not really an issue of skill tho...lol

The Neosho...come springtime (From Feb on...when the walleye run upstream) is where I'm found about every chunk of free time that I can get.

Bowfishing is a way to me to keep out on the river when nothin' else is biting...and as I said before a means to get some AWESOME catfish bait.

I gotta admit...I'm not the best shot with my bow...which is a PSE Kingfisher outfitted with a Zebco 808...but I try! :wink: (Ya won't stick any if the arrow ain't gettin wet...lol)

Do ya ever go snagging for Spoonbill at the Chetopa dam? (Spoonbill eggs are also great cat bait)

Thats alot of fun too. I normally try nail a few spoonies...and then grab my bow and stick a few gar while I rest my arm...snagging is alot of work...lol.

Those tourneys sound fun...probably above my skill level tho...Gator Gar are some awesome fish...saw a few shooters going after them down at Lake Fork, Texas when I was there a couple years ago.

Saw a couple hogs get stuck...they sure are some mean lookin' toothy critters...ain't too hard to figure out how they got their name.

Brian

11. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah i try and go spoonin at least a few times every year.That can be ALOT of work rippin the pole all day.Its gettin a little later in the year for much more bow fishing but come spring bring it on.If you want i'll give ya call sometime and take you out in the baot.Way more fun than shootin them from the bank.I've heard of guys shooting spoonies at night out of there boats but have never tried it.Migt have to give it try come season.All else can just shoot a bunch of everything else if we don't see any spoonbill.I'll try and keep in touch with ya through out the winter.