Bow Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by creek_fisher88, Sep 1, 2006.

1. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was just wanting to know exactly how you bow fish, if any of you guys have been bow fishing, or want to go bow fishing. I have seen it on tv but i havent heard of anyone around here doing it. so just let me know what you guys think, good or bad. thanks creek

2. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Bowfishing generally is done in shallow water, say 3 feet or less. Or in deeper water where the fish are close enough to the surface to be seen.

The deeper the water, the harder it is to hit the fish. This is due to light refraction in the water and resistance to arrow penetration.

There is about as much variation in equipment as for any other fishing or hunting. Basically you have a heavy arrow with a barbed tip that will not pull out of the fish. Attached to the arrow is a line attached to the bow in some manner; usually a reel of some type.

Target fish are the "rough" variety; carp, buffalo, suckers, drum, gar or grinnel.

My favorite technique is to use a recurve bow and wade in flooded areas when the rough fish are spawning. However, some rig boats specifically for the sport of bowfishing.

The biggest thing to remember is make sure the arrow is free to go before you release. If the string comes up short, the arrow is coming back at you fast.

Try it .

Robert

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    PM sent..go there and you will get all you need and if any more questions PM me.

4. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    carp gar flounder.zebco 808 are like populer bow f reel .good luck

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was on Truman lake today without a bow and what a shame!!! Large carp just swimming along the banks sucking at the grass, would have been easy pickins.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commissioners approved a change to legal targets of bowfishing, catfish are legal to bow fish. A tragic decision. In a few other states, catfish are also target fish.

7. Schifty

Schifty New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    YOu look for fish on top of the water and you shoot them with a bow.