Bow fishing!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Believer, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I have an old Penn #9 level wind reel that I am planning to use for bow fishing.
    Have any of you ever used a level wind reel before?
    A buddy of mine thinks it will be hard to use because of backlash, but with no more line than i'll be using I don't think it's gonna be a problem.

Eric

2. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I have never tried a levelwind for that but I don't think it would be a good idea to use any reel that will/may put tension on your arrow when you shoot. it would slow the arrow down also if it hangs up, it will bounce back, (not a good thing!) I would reccomend caution as arrows can hurt!!

3. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I don't bow fish, but i have spear fished over by long island, over on the north bottoms. There's a good sized puddle, about 3 foot deep, and about 200 feet long, it is like a drainage thing or something like that, but there's a ton of fish in there where you can just shoot in and will always get one.

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    If your going to use a level wind reel for bowfishing your asking for trouble. When you shoot the speed of the spool will cause a backlash everytime and the arrow will pull the string tight and break the line or even come back and stick you. That is why they have spincast reels and retriever reels and hand wrap hoops for bowfishing. Hope you do rethink that idea.:sad:

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Ok, thanks for the advice guys!
    What about a zebco 733 hawg? will it be ok?

Eric

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    It will work. I have an 808 bowfishing reel with steel gears lined with 200 lb. fast flight line. But that reel will work for now. Try looking sullysbowfishing.com for bowfishing supplies.