bow fishin

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by kyledbarnes, Dec 23, 2008.

1. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    anybody do this, if so, i was thinkin about startin, what kind of arrow to use, what lb. pull in your bow? what all do i need to know

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Never tryed it, but sounds like fun

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Don't know the ins and outs but sure wish once you got at it you'd go rid Barkley dam of the asian carp ! It would be like wing shooting !

4. spencerg

spencerg New Member

State:
    oglesby texas
    First check your state regulations on what fish you can shoot with a bow. Down here in texas you can't bow hunt a game fish. For gar down here most guys i know use 40-50# pull with fiberglass arrows. The fiberglass arrows won't break off like carbon fiber. Bow fishin can be alot of fun, enjoy.

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I love bow fishing i have many bows mostly browning , but i picked up a bear compound at an auction for 20 bucks and use it it is set at 50 pounds , a tough 32", 5/16" diameter fiberglass arrow equipped with a premium Muzzy point and Safety Slide System. The Safety Slide System eliminates the risk of dangerous arrow snapback by keeping your line in front of your bow and all of its accessories. I also equiped the bow with a Bowfishing Roller Rest . And a
    Retriever Pro line holder / reel . With 35 yards of 130 pound line that came with the Retriever Pro Reel .

You can also get a rod that goes in where the stabulizer goes and you can mount a reel like an 808 or ? to the rod .

6. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    for most bowfishing, a bow of 40# is plenty. recurves are great, i use a recurve that draws about 50 # at my draw length and have good successs. buy a retriever series reel from ams bowfishing, u wnt be dissapointed, a fiberglass bowfishing arrow, and get out on the water. remember to aim below the fish as the water refracts light and yo will shoot over the fish.

bowfishing is an absolute blast, if you try it you will be hooked

7. Haftafish8780

Haftafish8780 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Try some of the carp bowfishing sites they use the same gear and there are alot more people who bowfish for carp and gar

8. Richmond River Rat

Richmond River Rat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    i just got a bowfishing kit awhile back and its pretty fun

9. Kmundy

Kmundy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A couple years ago I shot a 70lbs big head carp, and let me tell you that is a rush like no other. It is also addicting as hell. If you decide to give it a try just buy an old used bow don't buy a new one. It's going to get dirty and wet. Arrows, I use carbon spined with the muzzy penetrator tip or the quick release. Works well on big fish. NOTE don't use the spool reel they cut lines like crazy. I use a retreiver reel, works well but I have had big fish run me out of line.

10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I use an old bear compound with a 50 lb. draw, fiberglass arrows and fishing tips, I'm not very good and usually only take it along when the fishing sucks for something to do. we are allowed to hunt gamefish only during certain times of the year here the rest of the time it's just carp and gar (roughfish). Be sure to haul off your kills and dispose of properly, folks will get real upset if someone litters the area with dead stinking fish, and if you are able to hunt gamefish with a bow, it's advisable not to walk between two bass fishermen and shoot a big largemouth right in front of them, they get kinda weird about that, I tryed it and lets just say it's a good thing I had the bow!

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Bow fishing is fun.
    I especially like flood conditions where the carp swim across roadways.
    EZ shootin and solid footing for me.
    Buy your fishing arrows at any sporting goods store and get the kind with the slip ring.
    I agree about a used bow.
    Got plenty on your hands having shot a big carp without worring about getting your expensive bow wet and slimy.
    Have a good 1
    just

12. ol' yeller

ol' yeller New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I used to bow fish quite a bit. I used a Browning Barracuda bow, fiberglass arrows and Muzzy tips. 40 lbs. of draw is all you need. If you're in a good spot you'll be shooting a lot and the low draw weight will keep your arms from tiring out as much.

Bow fishing is very addictive. Just remember to aim low and once you think you've aimed low enough aim even lower.

13. carpslayer21

carpslayer21 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have an Oneida h500 it's older but shoots really good set at 48 lbs with a ams retriever pro 400lb fast flight and shoot yellowjacket arrows with a muzzy tip good luck and welcome to the addiction

14. AZdesert rat

AZdesert rat Member

State:
    Arizona
    theres alot of good adveice on here, all i got to say is make SHURE u got the safty slide sytem on ur arrow. ive had an arow come back and bite me and even the knock will do a good bit of damge, so i dont buy a arow without the saftey slide on it any more. good luck its a blast and once u start u wont wana stop, try this site they got some prety good stuff
    Backwater Bowfishing Supplies, Leader in Bowfishing Supplies

Last edited: May 22, 2010