Bow Eye Problem

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by GMC FishHauler, Dec 12, 2007.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    My boats old bow eye (where the winch strap hooks up) pulled out while on the ramp the other day. I bought another bow eye that has larger threads (3/8" over 1/4") and also bent 2 1/2" washers at a 90deg angle so that they will be snug in my V.
    Also, i am relocating the eye since the old one was too low for the trailer. i am going to patch over the holes that are from the old one and look inside to see if it is stout enuff higher up for the new placement.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    On a v- bow boat I like the fail proof ones.

Drill an 1-1/4" hole in each side of the bow and custom fit a pipe inbetween.
    If its an aluminum boat it can welded. Wood boat it can be epoxy glued in place.

Pass a rope through the pipe and bring it together with wood handle or steel ring. Keep it short and you can just let it hang.

If this one fails, replace the boat.:big_smile:

3. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    thanks mark, but i am still trying to picture this set up in my head.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The pipe passes through one side of the boat, through the V bow, and out the side of the boat.
    The pipe gets fit flush to the sides of the boat.
    Your holes are drilled anywhere from 6" to a foot from the front of the boat.
    You are pulling on the entire boat instead of a single pull point.

The bow eye as we know it today replaced this way but many home builders and custom builders still do it the old way.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That sounds similar to what we did, I used a piece of aluminum pipe and after cutting it flush it was welded around the "seam" of boat and pipe then took a length of rod and slid it through the pipe so it was = on both sides of boat, then bent each side to the front of boat and welded the end of the rod together, if you can picture this, it has worked very well with no problems for several years now.
    Maybe this will help ya picture it, standing at the front of your boat, measure back say 5" on each side from the center of bow, drill a hole from side to side say 1" then fit a pipe through the hole out the other side, cut it for a flush fit (grind down) what ever works, then I welded that seam on each side, then measure your distance from center point of bow back to center of hole (multiply x2) and add 3-4" to that. also the distance through the hole, after you would run the stock through the hole so it is = on each side of boat you bend it at the boat sides to the front, (will be a triangle shape), then I welded that point solid and done, the winch clip hooks right at that spot. (all above measurements were just for example)
    As Mark described it will work well, even a length of chain would work. Hope I did not make it more confusing that was.
    Randy

6. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    ok guys, i got it now. All i have to do is find some good alum pipe and just do it. i only worry that pulling at another point like that the fiberglass will be weaker there than right at the front where it is so very thick. Should this be a concern of mine?

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I was thinking your boat was aluminum.
    You will have to beef up glass I would think with some butt blocks epoxy glued on the inside.
    Otherwise you'll be pulling directly on a glass edge.

It can be done with a doubt, I would think it would need beefing up some.

8. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    well, would i be better off putting in the bow eye like i stated in the first post? I was also thinking of putting some angle iron behind it too so that it had a lot of disspersal of the pull.

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i used a piece of 4 by 4 and put a longer eye boly threw it and the front of the boat.works fine for last 7 years.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Loosen that winch up when you get home.
    Dont leave em tightened down just sitting around in the yard.