Bounty plus pelt?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Sep 1, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    in teh county where i trap, there is a $25 bounty for any coyote taken, now do you think it would be more worth it to take the bounty, or sell the pelt after prepering it? coyotes from around here dont have very nice pelts at all i just wanted to know yalls opinion

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    unless you can get them in great numbers ,Kev at 25 bucks I think I'd just go for the bounty,less time involved =greater profit .

3. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I agree with richard, go for the bounty. You will have to spend a lot of time and probably some money preparing the pelts. Unless you are GOOD at it, I wouldnt expect to get more than $30 a pelt anyways. save yourself the time and just go for the bounty. Our county used to have one, but then they stopped it, and just considered the coyote a nuisense species.
    How often do you shoot em anyways?

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hay Kevin are they takin like the tail from you or how are they knowing you arent bringing same one back? Pelts here in Iowa arent worth squat!! Most guys just shooting them and letting them lay which I dont agree with but its their pelt.

5. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Why not do both ? I know in years past they used to punch a hole in the ears if doing both . I hate to waste a pelt myself even if not getting much . Every little bit adds up when filling the gas tank .

6. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you can get the bounty and still process the fur I would do both as Pete stated. If not for what the fur brings and the time involved you wont make much more selling the fur imho I would go for the bounty.

7. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    if they are only punching a hole in the ear or w/e and you want to make more money, find someone who will pay for coyotes whole to skin themselves, theres a person around here that prefers then whole so he can skin them on his own so he knows hes paying for what he wants, a nice valuble pelt. then you get the bounty and you can get more money without the hassle of buying supplies and skinning them. just a thought, i wish we had a bounty for them around here, there sure is alot of em.

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

what does a coyote from texas fecth?i would think they wouldnt be real nice furred but i could be worng.if you can get both out of them you would be foolish not to

9. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    not much, you have to get em after christmas here if you want a little money, the furs aint to full

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

what furs bring good money in texas? cats down there any good?if so i would jump on them

11. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i think bobcats brought about 50 to 75 last year. the ranch i hunt pays 100 bounty and i have then just been making me some nice rugs. the first couple were not to good but i have the hang of it now and the last two turned out real nice. fox make the nicest rugs but are a lot of work to get them done right.