Bounty hunter metal detector

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by sds888, Nov 28, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    My wife has come into the interest recently of metal detecting. I was thinking about getting a detector. I saw in cabelas they have the bounty hunter models. I was looking at the treasure hunter. Are these any good or would I just be wasteing my money.
    Thanks
    Stephen

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've got a Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II , but only have used it a few times. It seems to do pretty good, but I don't really have much experience with them. There are some real good units out there, just depends on how much money you want to spend.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Alot depends on where your going to hunt.

If your just coin shooting in school yards and parks, most any of them will work. For beach hunting you'll need one with a good ground balance if you expect to get near the water or wet sand.

Check out the Kellyco site and see what they sell. They sell most if not all of the major brands, I don't think Bounty Hunter is one of them.

I met a lady on the beach last week that was swinging a Tesoro model. Good brand and some models are very lite.

The best Whites detectors use Minelab technology, so if you can afford a Whites, then why not just get a Minelab and get standard what are options on Whites detectors.

5. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Metal detecting is fun and interesting IF you take someone along to do the digging for you. I found it to be a lot of work.

6. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Thanks bobpaul I looked at the minelabs but they are a little expensive. I think this is just a phase my wife is going through. We would be walking along a lake shore or out at some old house sites around the area. I dont want to spend a lot of money and then have her just go out one or two times. Of course I thing 200 dollars for the treasure hunter is alot of money any ways lol. I am just pondering whether to get my wife this as one of her christmas gifts. Indigo I am sure she would have me doing the digging.
    thanks
    Stephen

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Go with the Garret Ace 250. It's not much more and has a good resale value. Tesoro Cibolo is another affordable one.

Bounty hunters don't resell well.

Buy on line and beat the sales tax. There's plenty of dependable retailers on line. Look for Christmas specials.

8. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have both the bounty hunter and the garret, I have had the bounty hunter for over 15 years with no problems, but it has no value and is not as accurate as the garret, I think I would buy a used garret before I would buy another bounty hunter. what I dont know is the newer bounty hunters might be alot more accurate than my old one.
    any one of them would be alot of fun.

9. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey guys
    I have a whites 6000 XL Pro, that I paid around Six hundred dollars for. It works great for me and has plenty of depth and doesn't take college graduate to operate. Just turn it on and go. I have been detecting for years, my first detector was a 77-b Compass with no discrimination what so ever, it would pick up every thing, but I found lots of good stuff with it. But unless you intend on using it a lot I think I would just rent one are buy a used one. you can go to a local coin shop and most of them sell detectors and usually will rent you one for the weekend are a vacation. I have never bought a detector that has not paid for it self. but they will not do it setting in the closet are tucked away in the garage. It's a great hobby and can be very rewarding if you have the patience, But if you are planing on buying one for less then two are three hundred dollars I think you would be better off to just keep your money in your pocket and take your lady out to dinner.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good Post Phillip. Well said. There are some good units out there but if you invest a lot and don't use them its money thrown away. I would suggest you go to a dealer that has several brands and prices and have him demo, them Or spend a day with a detector friend and learn the do's ant don'ts.