Bound for Rancho Buena Vista....."Mexico"

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Jul 9, 2008.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Well gang, Plumbertom1 and my brother Al and my self are heading to Baja friday morning..... We will be some 60 miles away from Los Cabos on the tip of Baja..... at Rancho buena Vista..... this is an older "resort" and is away from the "Cabo" stuff..... it is our first trip there and we will be fishing for 5 days..... depending on the bodies......you pay for the boat wheather or not we are on the boat....... like I've never caught a Marlin, rooster fish, mahimahi, 200 lb tuna, or even a 100 lb tuna for that mater..

Tom and I were getting some of the lures tied up this afternoon... Tom was rigging his marlin "seven strand lures" with 250 lb leader, while I was putting wire on some "bomber magnums' that we will use for Wahoo....

We plan to take some.... welll many photos so that we can share the fun with you all......

Bayrunner Ray

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good luck and hope ya catch a biggin. I never fished off shore but looks like fun to me.

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Good Luck down there fellows sounds like a good time and a lot of fun, :big_smile:
    But we all just have one request:
    "A Story & Photos of the Trip"!!!!! :0a23:
    :wink:

Have Fun Guys,
    Bert:cool2: & (Shania :0010:)

4. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks for the "hearty thoughts" Bert.... You can imagine the hype getting ready for this trip..... Tom and I spending $$ getting new rods... getting the reels filled with 60lb for the tournament fishing.... doing all the check on the equipment....

can"t wait.... pool, bar right on the beach..... walk to the boats.. all you can eat, ..... sandwiches for the boat, ..... no room service, .... clean clear water, and with God and weather on our side.... no adverse weather in sight......

back outside.... got to tie up some more "hoochie" rigs for trowling

back later.... Bayrunner Ray, Plumbertom1, and bro "Big Al....

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Good luck, that sounds like a great trip! I visited that area on a bicycle way back in 1995, and had lunch at Rancho Buena Vista while going around the East Cape road. That's some of the prettiest ocean front in the whole world, and I always wanted to get back and spend some time there. Have a great time, and catch a couple of fish for the rest of us!

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Good luck Ray, Tom and Al! I heard nothing but good things about Ranch Buena Vista! East Cape kicks you know what(lol) I hope you catch your first Marlin, Rooster fish, tons of Wahoo and 200lbs tuna Ray.

Jaime

7. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks for the send off Jaime..... we'll the speaking your language in no timeo....pourfavoyer amigo.... mucho bueno....

Bayrunner Ray, Big Al and Plumbertom1

8. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Hey we are back from the trip...... We are much wiser and better fishermen from the experience..... there were many "new" things to encounter as it has been a while since I have flown and using the passport and all..... man did I ever set off the "metal detector" when leaving LAX terminal..... I think the dude really wanted to "pat me down" to see what made me tick.....LOL..

again, got lots of info to relate to you all...... Would you believe that there was only two other small groups at the resort.... just fishermen... the whole place to ourselves.... no noise.. just three "squares" a day, and the water was excellent.... spring, and very cool in water containers...

more to come later, as I have to edit some photos.... Marlin, Sail fish, dorado, tuna, rooster and even some trigger fish to finish up a slow day...

"Best fishing trip that I have been on".....A regular vacation and just fishing.......

Bayrunner Ray

9. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Hey Gang... here is some of the pics that I put together......Plumbertom1, Bayrunner Ray and brother Al with a Sail fish and some Yellow fin tuna..

Can you imagine this Resort with just two groups of fishermen only....the place was virtually empty of tourists....

Which end of the pool do you want?..... Sunsets anyone?....

Bayrunner Ray

10. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Sorry... forgot to put in the main pic of the boys and some fish...

Bayrunner Ray

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    As soon as I found out what they had to offer here.......

I was sorry that I didn't invite the wife to come along..... (I thought that Alaska might be the next trip)......

What the hell, the boys are up early, you dont have to cook for the men, and they are gone all day... well not all day, but the fact is she would have the place to herself for sure.

Now that I know the lay of the land etc. and the in's and out's of getting there etc.... She is going on the next trip....

Here is some flicks of the room and the " outside " seating at each room.... we had a pool view, and the beach etc. in the background....

Bayrunner Ray

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Ray,
    Just by looking at the photos that you have posted, I could see that you guys had a Great Time down there.
    &
    And I could see that my Buddy Tom got plenty of rest too. (LoL)

Thanks for sharing that trip with us all Buddy.
    :0a31:

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool2:

P.S.:
    And I know that it was just killing you - to see post cards and not sent one to to the rest of us here, in titled:

"Wish You Were Here"!!!

(LoL)
    (Because I Know You Buddy) - LoL:happy:

13. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Bert... good to see you "checking out the post"......Speeking of Post, man there were no post cards...... maybe there were, but did not know where to mail it....... We fist hit a local am/pm and got some brews and soft drinks for the ride to "Rancho". The ride was some 90 kilometers away form Cabo........ We had to travel over some rather desolate terrain, and you had to share the narrow road with some big trucks...... All along the road there were memmorials of the folks that had "passed on" while driving the Mex 1 highway.....

There were many "washes" that indicated that durring the rainy season that torrential rains dominate with the run off...

Here is some of the pics of the ride to the Rancho...(sorry bout the focus as there were few places to stop and take pics....)

Bayrunner Ray

14. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Bert and Gang....More of the drive to the Ranch.... We drove some 5 miles south of where we were going to stay and hit the local market..... to get some stuff to snack on while awaiting the grande breakfast and dinners that we were going to have...... "all you could eat".... breakfast and dinner...... lunches were brown bags with sandwiches and goodies... (next time I'll make my own lunch... kind of dry with no tomatoes or letuce)

Los barrilles was an old place were the early folks to enter into the "Sea of Cortez" would stop to fill up their water barrels..... Needless to say, we filled up our shopping carts with the hard booze, beers, and colas so as to save on not spending $$$ at the resort bar...

Notice the cattle guard around the city monument.... the local donkeys and cattle would make a quick meal of it if not protected...

Bayrunner Ray

15. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Speeking of food and snacks etc. It was "just like home" in this market that we visited.....

When it came time to check out... the "ladies" spoke good English, and your total was converted right on the cash register.... "no problemo with converting from Pesos to Dollars...

Bayrunner Ray

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks Ray for sharing the pics and the good time y'all had! Glad it was a great trip! That pool looks soooooooooooo inviting!

17. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Yep, every day after our best attempts at fishing, we would spend an hour or two just soaking in the warm water of that pool.
    After being in it for a while it would actually cool you down a little because the water was a couple of degrees lower temp. than the air.
    There was also a spa next to the pool that Ray used quite often. he didn't seem to mind the fact that an Iguana was living under the rim of it.
    If you go there, I recommend that you stay away from the Margaritas though, they are not very good. Try the bloody Marys instead.

18. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Hey Love..... you'd adore this place..... gardens, beach to walk on, and many places to escape from no one......
    The place was empty....

I'll not hide the fact that it was humid.... When you walked into the room it felt nice, and the sliding door was quickly closed.....

I'd wake up with the "normal back pains" and hit the hot tub to "do my thing".....Since this was a fishing trip, we would get the breakfast done, and stroll down the beach to get onto our boat.....The pool was the place to get into when you "pealed off" your fishing gear, and hang out til dinner, or mabe a nap before dinner....

Bayrunner Ray

19. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Eat, Fish, Pool, Sleep...... the easy life...

now onto some of the pics of fishing and some catching....

Bayrunner Ray

20. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Ray,Tom and Al, glad you guys had a great time. Actually the resort is nicer than I thought! The views are awsome especially the on you took at dusk!
    THanks for the heads up Tom on the Margaritas.but never had a bloody Mary though.
    So what was the total for the trip?

Jaime