Bought New Smoker-Smoking Turkey Question

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by festus, Nov 24, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

We bought a new Smoke Hollow 30168E electric smoker a couple weeks ago, have done chicken, roast beef, and bbq pork so far with excellent results. We want to try a turkey this Thanksgiving. My better half bought the turkey a tad too big for the smoker's recommendations.

The turkey fits fine, plenty of clearance from the walls, but the smoker recommends using a 12-15 pound turkey. Our's weighs 19 lbs. Should there be a problem? I don't think so, I'll just allow an extra three hours cooking, by my calculations.

Has anyone else ever used a Smoke Hollow smoker?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i think you will be fine festus, as long as there is some extra room in there. i would go for it, and allow a little more than 3 that way if you are off by an hour it wont ruin the coordination with the rest of dinner. turkey has to kool before you cut it anyway.

3. festus

festus New Member

Thanks Jeremy, the turkey is still wrapped and it's stashed inside a plastic grocery bag, back in the fridge. But I did set the turkey inside the smoker on the grill just to make sure it puts no stress on the wires. They seem strong enough, but I'm putting an extra grill right below on the next setting down just for insurance. Yes, we're giving the turkey plenty of time to cook since we have to transport it to Maryville Thanksgiving Day.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    just cook longer..i always rub mine down with a lite coat of olive oil and put a poultrysesoning (rub on it) put it in a big plastic bag over night...then put it on the smoker ,after the first 3hr spray it down with apple juice(do this every hr.)it keeps it from getting dry...do it fast so you dont loss to much heat from the smoker...if it has a pop up timer you will know when its done.:0a26:

5. festus

festus New Member

Good idea, Katmax, we have to go out in the morning, so we'll stop in at FC for some apple juice. I like Mott's Apple Juice and Indian Summer apple juice the best, no generics for me! Just a good clean plastic quart spray bottle will work ok, I guess?

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    smoked, ummmm. we deep fryin ours. yours come out juicy when you smoke?

7. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    you can get them at walmart home depot and some gro.stores

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    you all ever seen the oil-less turkey frier's... a buddy of mine bought one last week and i havent seen the results yet, but i am very interested in knowing if they work or not...

9. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    if it dont have a pop up timer then get a meat thermoiter

10. festus

festus New Member

This will be our first attempt, Matt. We have a meat thermometer, and hopefully all will work out fine.

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ive had smoked turkey before and its good nice n juicy

12. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have a digital thermometer/timer I got at Lowes. You set it at the temp you want and insert the probe and it goes off when the meat reaches the desired temp. It works pretty sweet. I'm not familiar with that pitt so can't comment on that but if possible I would use a water pan to help keep it moist. Best of luck and happy turkey day!

:cool2:

13. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    You will be fine, Festus. I used to own a little bbq joint and have smoked more turkeys than I would care to remember and they are definitely worth it. The biggest problem that I encountered when doing turkeys is the amount of time it takes those suckers to thaw out since most of what you find in the groceries around us are frozen. They can take up to a week to totally thaw out in the fridge, which is the recommended way to thaw meat, so make sure yours is completely thawed before throwing it on the smoker. I've had numerous birds that felt good and soft on the outside and ended up still being frozen down deep near the bone and trust me, you don't want any part of the bird frozen when you throw it on the smoker. It sounds like you are enjoying your smoker. Be careful though, b/c before you know it, it will turn into another hobby and interfere with your valuable fishing time. Heck before I knew it, I was doing it for a living.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Festus,I think you'll be fine ,If you have a regular turkey ,{not a butterball,or Honeysuckle} You might want to brine it,Man Its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Got a recipe I posted in diner if your interested,or do a google search .

15. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    When you find out how it work please post it on the site. I saw them and was wondering how they will work. I wanted one, but the boss said I had enough toys till next year:smile2:

16. festus

festus New Member

It's been thawing since Thursday, Trey, I think it'll be ok. We'll start it tomorrow. Judy says if it isn't completely thawed, she'll soak it in cold water, is that OK? I don't know much about turkey myself because I don't eat much of it.

Where did you own the bbq joint? We've used the smoker three times already and everything has been very good. I cheated on the roast beef, however. I like mine with gravy, and I heated a jar of Heinz Beef Gravy and poured it on the thinly sliced beef and it was yummy good, especially with mashed potatoes and homegrown canned green beans.

17. festus

festus New Member

It's a Butterball, Richard. We're gonna try Katmax's idea, spraying it with apple juice every now and then. Just thought of something, if I spray it with apple juice do I still need to keep water in the water pan?

18. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Yeah Festus, no problem on the cold water. I owned a little hole in the wall in Knoxville and a little place overlooking the river between Clinton and Oak Ridge. One was a bbq joint and the other was a bbq and seafood joint. I sold the one in Knoxville and let my business partner take over the other. I got tired of paying everyone else and not myself. I've been out of it 3 years now, it was fun while it lasted, but I got 3 young ones to take care of and the restaurant business is tough. Old guy who'd been in the business for years used to say "the way to make a small fortune in the restaurant business, is to start out with a big one." Unfortunately, I had neither.

19. festus

festus New Member

I should know where the place is on Hwy 61 toward Clinton, but just can't place it right now. I don't get up toward Clinton that much even though I used to work there years ago and went to high school there. I know where the nursery and Ace Hardware is right there outside Oak Ridge, then there's a tobacco shop on the opposite side of the road, then the red light, then up the road a ways is a fruit market. Were you farther toward Clinton?

20. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    I would, the water in the pan is just for keeping the meat moist, and it's certainly not going to hurt it in addition to spraying it with apple juice. Let me know how it works for ya.