Bought my 1st cast net

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by tnkatman, Jan 22, 2007.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I BOUGHT MY FIRST CAST NET TODAY ON CLEARANCE AT WAL-MART FOR $11. IT'S A FITEC SUPER SPREADER 3.5 RADIUS, THE ONLY PROBLEM IS IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO THROW IT AND I'VE NEVER ATTEMPTED TO THROW ONE. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET SOME INSTRUCTIONS ? ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS NET OR EVER OWNED THIS NET ? ARE THEY ANY GOOD ? THANKS.

2. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    in the featured articals here on the site jw shows how to thow one proporly

3. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    good luck. took me a while to learn but i managed to. look at how ur suppose to throw it and try it but dont be afraid to try it alittle different. i find that the guys that throw them best have there own way of doing it. i throw mine pretty texted book but its not perfect everytime. lots of practice helps 2!

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Indeed, JW is a mean cast net thrower. If you can't get the hang of it from his tutorial there are instructional videos and DVD's. Some of the cast nets purchased from Catfish Connection have a video included...W

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kevin ,thearticles in the library will help alot however once you get the basics down the best advice is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
    I've been using one for about fifteen years and I still flub up at times so dont get discouraged

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Cast nets are the reason God created front yards!

Just a quick method to get you started. These directions are right handed.

tthe rope and create a loop for your wrist. I don't care if it comes with a loop make one that tightens on your wrist after it is thrown.
    Stand with the ring, the top of the net in your right hand with the weights nearly touching the ground. slide your left hand down the net (like you are stripping water from a towel enough (maybe 20 inches) to make a loop and then transfer that loop to the left hand. To this point you have the rope attached to your right wrist, the ring (top of the net, no string showing) in your right hand and a looped bit of net in your right hand. With your left hand reach down and pick up a front section of netting and weights. Grab the part between two weights and place in your mouth holding it with your teeth (I don't care what your Mom said LOL!). Then slide your left hand from your mouth down the weights (to the right) a little less than the arms length. To throw it, picture yourself throwing a big frisbee. toss with your left hand releasing then your teeth. There are other method, but this, to me is the easiest. Perhaps if I throw it in slimy water, I will learn to do it without my teeth, but, I figure if I can stand the water in the Muskingum, there really isn't much damage can be caused by a little slime or grit.

Good Luck and Good bye bait store.

Shawn

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Shawn we will have to give you some lessons this summer. I sure ain't sticking one of those nets in my mouth after it's been submerged in the muskingum. Tnkatman those are good nets to learn with. Once you get the hang of it you may want a larger one. Be sure to check your state regulations on size of nets also. As Loanwizard said use the front yard. It is alot more forgiving then objects underwater and near the banks of the water.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hey wimpy! It's just a lttle fiber in your diet, perhaps a bit mercurial but....
    Tony really ticks me off. He just tosses that thing out effortlessly and doesn't use any teeth. Good for him, I ain't that talented. I was just tellin a brother a method that any old knucklehead (me) can do... You know, those of us that should never be allowed to have tools in our hands.

BTW, how is Dawn feeling? She seemed a little under the weather when she was here the other day. Oh, and can we change the date of the Ohio gathering from Memorial day weekend? I'd sure like to make it.

9. FishinRich

FishinRich New Member

State:
    Colorado
    A 3.5 is a good place to start but you soon out grow it. I like my ten footers. With a ten ft. a semi good throw will still catch bait. Remember to keep aloop around your wrist. Lost a good net that way.

10. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    In the BOC library there are some good how too's on cast nets.

11. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Does it have an aluminum ring at the top? If so, I have one - they are a lot easier to throw than a regular cast net.

Assume you are right handed.

1. Place throw line around left wrist

2. Shake net out, hold aluminum ring in right hand, palm down at arms length with the net towards you.

3. Extend your thumb downwards, follow it down to the net, pick up that side of the net and place it over the aluminum ring.

4. Throw it like a discus.

12. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Go to Fitec's website, just google "Fitec cast nets" and there you will find instructions on how to throw........

13. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    The brothers have said it, info here on the BOC library will tell you a lot.
    Also if you go to youtube.com and type in casting a cast net in the search field, they have some good info too.
    Then, Practice, Practice, Practice. You'll be wanting to go get a biger casting net...lol

:wink:

14. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
  15. Catfish Jaw

Catfish Jaw New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I got a castnet last Christmas and i used it this summer in Biloxi and caught some mullet and two little flounders.

16. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    there are alot of videos on youtube. it took me awhile to learn, but i took parts of several methods and do it my own way.
    chip