Bought an Ugly Stik Tiger Lite

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by JPritch, Oct 26, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Well, I was in SC yesterday, and on my way back up I-85 past Charlotte saw a Bass Pro Shops :big_smile:. First time ever been to one...I was like a kid in a candy store. But anyways, got a chance to see the Tiger Lites in person. Ended up buying a heavy action 7' Tiger Lite. Much smaller diameter pole than the regular tigers, but I love the stiff tip the heavy action provides. Perfect for the river fishing I do with heavy sinkers and strong current, where my white ugly stik catfish had too much movement in the tip.

I am gonna put my Abu 6500 black-cat on the Tiger Lite. My Penn 320GT2's are on my MH regular Tigers.

Some of you may know I didn't like my white ugly stik catfish because of the guides, so I'm hoping the Tiger Lite is a better replacement. The guides are pretty much the same, but they are much firmer and I tried to bend one and couldn't. I noticed some of the white ugly stik catfish poles already had bent guides in the store. Unfortunately the Tiger Lite costs twice as much.

If some of you are interested, the Ugly Stik "Striper" is identical to the "Catfish" version, but the guides are stainless steel, and have better footing. I almost got it, but couldn't get over using a pole with a striper on it for catfishing. I wish they made the catfish pole with the same guides.

I will post an update on this thread in a month or so once I give the Tiger Lite a chance to prove or disprove itself.

Oh yeah - the aquarium in the store was cool to look at, but I don't like seeing those big beautiful fish contained in a small aquarium like that. Kind of sad knowing they more than likely came out of sprawling lakes and vast rivers.:confused2:

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Joshua, that's great. I am sure you will like the Tiger. Did you find the flathead in the aquarium?

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Well, they had two yellowish white catfish in there with the tail of a flathead, but the heads weren't flat and wide. The bodies and head looked like that of a blue. Any idea what that might be?

4. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joshua

I've been looking hard at the USLts and noticed the same thing you did. I think they are the best US's out there. I've got a light action rod for my Abu Garica 303R.

Jerry

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've got a couple of the 6'6" Tiger Lites, and I like 'em, too. The cork tape handles are a really nice touch. I'm not sure the guides are any fancier than the US Catfish, but the way they are mounted lower on the rod and with a little better foot separation they end up being a lot sturdier.

I'll stick to my regular Tiger Rods for big river fishing, but the Tiger Lites should handle anything I happen into on smaller waters. So far 22lbs has been my biggest fish on them.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I'm sure that you will like that rod. I have 2 regular tiger rods and they are awesome.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Congrats on the rod now the challenge for you will be to stay away from that Bass Pro shops. $$$$$$$$$ :haha:

8. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats on the New rod, I have one and love it. Good Luck.
    have a safe weekend.
    Walter

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Question.whats the difference in the regular tiger and the tiger lite?:confused2:

10. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Congrats on the new rod!

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on the New Rod.

12. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Diameter: Tiger Lite is slightly smaller
    Weight: Tiger Lite uses more graphite and is lighter
    Guides: Tiger uses stainless steel, Lite uses Aluminum Oxide
    Handle: Tiger uses large foam handle for long battles, Lite uses a mix of foam and cork. Casting Lite models come with a trigger.
    Design: Same color scheme on both models

The Lite is a good match IMO for my Abu 6500, which is a smaller reel than my Penn's.