Bought an old pontoon boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by bubbasmouse, Mar 11, 2007.

1. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    I bought a old 1974 Harris 24' pontoon with a 1991 Johnson 88 hp motor that runs good. It has a good floor and the seats are in good shape. The man gave me 8 good rod holders and a canvas cover. Just have to get the rod holdders mounted and get the a fish finder/ gps ana few other odds and ends and hopefully I'll be ready to fish out of it.

Attached Files:

2. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    You will love it. I have 24 also and when fishing is slow it is nice to pick another spot to sit:big_smile:

3. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Looks like you have a winner there, am hoping to get one myself soon.

4. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Way to go bubba! You are gonna love that!

5. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    Looks like your in for some fine fishing. I had a 20 ftr and loved it. Great fishing boat. I kept it on a lake nearby. The trailer was not in the best shape to be hauling it around that much though. I finally sold it. My son just bought a 24 ftr and I can't wait to get on the water with him. Look out fish ... here we come!

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    A pontoon will spoil a man when it comes to fishing. Just get use to loading and unloading it and you will love it. I raised the rails of mine up off the floor and that did away with the mold that builds up around the inside of the rail and I also took my back seat and raised it where air could get under it and put some perforated boards in them for floors and still have plenty of storage and the water drains right thru it.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ron, I'm happy for you, buddy. You'll love that boat. Get it in the water and give us a fishing report real soon. :big_smile:

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ron, that one should make you a fine boat.
    I have a 93 Harris Kayot that's sure been a dandy.
    Good luck!

9. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on the toy. You'll love the pontoon experience for fishing. Plenty of room to move around and not jump over things.

I'm in the middle of a pontoon rebuild right now on a 1989 Bass Buggy DL. Its down to the bare aluminum deck right now... everything stripped.

Filling in all the extra screw holes and making sure everything is solid before I lay the new TUFF COAT epoxy floor. (no more carpet for me)

I'm having a custom center console fabricated from 1/8th aluminum that will make some peoples jaw drop. I'm just having too much fun with this project right now. Just need the weather to get better so I can get some work done.

Again, welcome to the pontooners of the world. you'll enjoy it.

10. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good for you Ron. I`ve been debating what kind of boat to get for fishin and family and most folks say you cant go wrong with the pontoon.If you dont mind me asking,how much does a boat like that cost?
    Thanks Russ

11. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Big Russ I got the boat, motor and trailer for $2500. There are quite a few pontoons for under $4000 here in the Carolinas problem is being the 1st to get there with the money. I had 3 different boats that someone got there just before me and bought the boats.

12. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a nice one, you're gonna love it.

13. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Nice toon guy. Now the fun begins-- :big_smile:

14. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Thats a nice boat, pontoons are great for all kinds of things, exspecialy catfishing.

15. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wow! sounds like a great deal.I hope you catch alot of fish with her.Have fun and thanks
    Russ

16. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Congrat's Bubba!! Nice lookin Toon. Plus there is Plenty of room for a couple of Beer coolers,Whoops I ment Pop Coolers!!!! LOL. J.D.
    :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: :byebye:

17. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrads,Thats a nice looking boat. Hope to get a fishing report from you soon.