The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Sometimes I buy a new rod/reel combination just because I think it's too good of a price to not buy. Of course all of us that do that know we end up with a bunch of combinations we seldom if ever use. Still enjoy getting a new one though and glad you got one too.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
1,903 Posts
Three that get used here are 2 zebo bite alert spinner combos. One cat daddy spinner combo. Switched zebcos to right hand as wife loves them that way. Catdaddy gets used sometimes especially for spare rod.

The 2 zebcos gave 15 bucks each. The catdaddy was 20. The braid on them now is more than the RR price.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Bill. After 35 years of not fishing at all (due to driving OTR) my first rods/reels I bought this Summer were “pawn shop specials” (read that, basically, worn out) that I think the most expensive of the 4 was $25.
Then I started replacing them with new stuff.
When I buy a new combo, I give one of theolder ones to one of the grandsons.
Right now, I have two heavy action rigs and one light- medium action.
Each of the boys has 3 rigs of their own (of their choice).

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I counted my RR a couple weeks ago and have 43. Sometimes just getting a new one makes ya feel good about yourself
Though the rod I bought a couple days ago (Dolphin MS 2070 , 7’ long) said it is heavy action, the endis really flexible. I don’t like itas a heavy, so tonight I bought another one.It is a 7’ Prosabre. The tip is a LOT less flexible than the Dolphin.
Ithink I’ll like it better.
I did switch reels, though. The Prosabre came with a Zebco spinner. I put the Harpoon X50 on it. Put the Zebco on the Dolphin.
I’m going to put 10# line on it.
So, now I have 4 R/R. All the reels are spinners.

At the Super Value Mart, NW 10th and County Line Rd, OkC, (the closest place to buy bait and some tackle to Lake Overholser), I saw something tonight that I thought was strange. They had (have) an Abu Garcia rod (I didn’t look at the model number or name) with a cheap spinner reel mounted on it.
Ivl’ve never seen a rod like it. Behind (below?) the reel, there is a bend of close to 45 degrees. Does anyone know what this rod is?

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update on my last post, re: the Abu rod. I Googled it, then checked it out on Amazon.
After seeing th list price for this rod (they call the design “comfort contour grip”), I just might check to see what their price is (the most I’ve paid for a combo at this store is around $65), I just might buy it as an investment. 😀

Retail varies by type $68-$85.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you get the Abu post a pic of the grip for us
I looked it up online ABU GARCIA, CONOLON SENSOR TOUCH , 8’ 3”. Several places I saw it listed as VINTAGE. Most of the listings on ebay showing price as high as $110 (this one said it has a broken tip).
If I keep thinking about it, I’ll be out there when he opens the store today, to buy that thing. 😀😀

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sometimes I buy a new rod/reel combination just because I think it's too good of a price to not buy. Of course all of us that do that know we end up with a bunch of combinations we seldom if ever use. Still enjoy getting a new one though and glad you got one too.
I know exactly what you mean. My last 3, especially the Abu (after looking it up online) was darn sure too good to pass up.
There was a 6’ one on ebay,said the tip was broken, was $110.
When I went to Academy today to buy line for it, I asked if they had ever heard of it or had one in stock, “It’s been a few years, but we had some 8’ 3” in stock several years ago. I don’t think they make them anymore.”

So, maybe I got a DEAL on it.
It’s in use right now.
Only thing, I don’t think it was made for a spinner reel. It has a trigger on it. Opposite side from the reel.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you get the Abu post a pic of the grip for us
I bought the Abu rod. I don’t really like it. So, I’m giving it to my grandson, Family Size.
It was made for, I’d say, a spin cast or bait caster reel, neither of which I like.
I use strictly spinners.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts