Bought a new reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by david of indiana, Oct 7, 2005.

1. david of indiana

david of indiana New Member

I have just purchased my first baitcaster reel... trying to be a real catfisherman.. not some weekender hack lol.... wondering what you all suggest for attaching to my new abu garcia 5500cl3... now to teach myself how to toss a line with a baitcaster...

thanks in advance for all your suggestions and help

Peace
    David

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Will you be wanting to fish on the bottom or with a bobber?
    If on the bottom a good and cheap $30 rod would be a 6'6" or 7" ugly stik. If you want to throw a bobber I would suggest an 8'-10' rod. The best thing to do is get the feel of them in the store before you buy.

3. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    check out the ugly cat stick at wally world. I have a 5500 on one and love it .

4. david of indiana

david of indiana New Member

I currently use two 6'6 ugly sticks on open face reels... great rods... but just cant seem to get them far enough sometimes.... I use floats in spring and fall when the whiskers seem to run shallower... and in the heat of summer... I do more bottom feeding tactics.... guess I could have the best of both worlds and get an eight foot ugly sticks for cats...

peace

David

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    7'-0" Ugly Stik, Wal-Mart has them for $27.00.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice! I hope u enjoy ur reel!

7. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

David, I prefer 8' American Premier Nitesticks with my Abu's. They take a little practice. The best thing I found for learning how to cast was on the old site. It's in the library, in the Member articles, learning to cast a baitcaster, it's under rods and reels/how to use. I tried to get in to pull up the link, but it wouldn't let me.

Ray

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i agree. the ugly stick cat rods are $27.95 at wally and are a great rod. i have an antique 5000 ambass on one that i just happened to cleaned today. lubed and re strung. its 50 years old and works as good as my 1 year old 6500's.

9. crazy_crappie88

crazy_crappie88 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Al
    Nice reel u got there, good luck and i hope u catch many fish with it.

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I like the Eagle Claw cat rods............they're called Cat Claws.......very nice rod's, about $30 .........i gotta 6500C on a 9 footer.......very nice set-up........anyone else here have a CatClaw rod??

11. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    BassMassy,
    I have a 9' eagle claw - water eagle I think they are simular. I really like it .