Bought A New Cast Net Today

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Mar 27, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bought a new cast net today. Seems I keep snagging them up, and at 30 bucks a pop it isn't getting any cheaper either! I have owned some different brands, but bought a Frabill brand today. It is a standard 5 footer, with the 3/8" mesh monofilament, with 25ft. of rope. It has 1 pound of weight per foot. Took it out in the backyard alittle while ago, and I like the feel of it. Very easy to throw, the weights are alittle different style than the ordinary lead style that I have had in the past. Gonna head out here shortly to chase some baits and hopefully stock up for some cattin on the river here soon! :wink: rollo

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Good luck on getting the bait! I got me "another" new net also! Do you have any suggestions on how to loosen the netting up on them. I can't seem to get it to flatten out on the throw.

3. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    If its new it may need to be hung over something so it can stretch out and get rid of some of the memory from being packaged tightly.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Soak it in a bucket of water for a bit and it will loosen up. Of course it will be stiff again as soon as it dries out.

I've heard of some folks soaking them in a mild detergent solution but have never tried that.

I always find that after a few throws in the water it loosens up just fine.

As far as getting her to open up a bit more.....give it a bit more 'spin' on the release and you'll have the weights trying to fly off the net.

You don't have to work hard with a net. A gentle throw with the right technique usually works fine. No need to bust a gut trying to heave it out there. I used to work myself to death with a net, now I don't.

And Rollo....... go buy you one of those $200 Excaliburs and try one out. Then give me a FULL report because I'd like to order one but would rather you do it first so I can find out if you thought it was worth the money!:smile2:

5. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    skippy i already did that they are worth the money

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try using Downy Fabric Softener in a bucket of water. Two are three cap fulls should do the job.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I know you did Slider and you are the reason I want one. But wanted to know if us mere net-throwing mortals can handle those big boys, you make it look effortless.:confused2:

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jason, all the new castnets I have bought this year have the new style weights.

Are they lead coated with rubber?? or are they a different metal?

I cant decide what they are made of

9. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think they are ceramic. Not sure if it is just a coating or not. Hit one with a hammer Jack and let us know. :smile2:

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great idea! I will try that now!:smile2:

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats what I do. I take a 5 gal. bucket of warm to hot water and add fabric softner. Let the net and rope soak outside for a while, then when you take it out, hang it upright in the sun and let it stretch! Works great! rollo

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    BTW... I liked the net! Didn't find any shad, but caught 30 gills, a bass, couple crappies on rod and reel.:wink: rollo

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good to see you are catching bait on rod and reel jason!:smile2:

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Sounds like some great bait Rollo, save it for the fish off!

15. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have now have had 3-4 nets with the new (Anti-California) weights, some are ceramic, I did disect one and some are plastic over some sort of black chalky stuff??? anyways I hate them all, none sink as fast as lead did , just my opinion, they aint worth a dippity -poo!!!

Salmonid