Bought a 22 revolver need info and advice

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by 7mmmag1, Nov 23, 2009.

1. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I bought a 22 revolver from my dad yesterday. It is an authentic looking cowboy gun. I do not know the manufacturer but it says "tex mod" on it and some #s after that. Can anybody tell me who the manufacturer is? He bought it 1983 or 84. Also, the action is kind of sticky and squeaky and has some of that grey residue on it from shooting it. I do know he rarely shot it and its pretty much been sitting in his dresser most of these years, can anybody give me a few tips on how to clean and oil it?

Thanks

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Daniel,I cant help with the manufacturer of it,My best guess would be maybe an import from rossie or such. For cleaning,I like to use an old toothbrush dampened in solvent{you might want to go outside with this step} the brush tends to spit solvent everywhere while scrubbing,but it'll get the powder residue off. Drop of oil on the hammer mech and moving parts and wipe off any excess,You should be fine. as far as the bore,there are short pistol rods or some makers have adapters for using the handle section for short arms cleaning.

3. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    post some pictures....I'm sure we can id it.....and about the cleaning go with what 223 said.....and if it hasn't been shot for a while make sure to do a test fire before you put your face behind it....

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, some pictures may be helpful, maybe can even determine if it's "old style" or a more modern unit with the transfer bar safety mechanism,,
    You should be able to fairly easily remove the cylinder pin,, could be a spring detent arrangement, and , would be better in cleaning the parts,, if you can take the cylinder out.

The grey residue is burnt powder and lead deposits, should come off with nitro solvent..
    and,,, Reload gave some good tips..

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    223 gave you some great advice along with the other guys....

i prefer one of the ram rod mops that are made for the caliber you are using and i would use a brass brush also to get some of the really hardened dirt and lead out... however i dont like to use the brass brush anymore than i have to, i think over use can effect on the rifling.

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    brass being harder than lead will scrub it off,steel barrels are much harder than brass and won't be affected at all by the use of a brass brush. Maybe it shoots different cause it's clean and not all gummed up with fouling?

I can't remember the name of those guns,but if it's the one I'm thinking about be very careful,they had a tendancy to "go off" whenever they wanted after the hammer was cocked back,very cheesey trigger mechanism on those and on time it might be a 10 lb. trigger pull and the next might be a 1/4 oz trigger pull. but it may not be the one I'm thinking of.

7. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Remove grips. Remove side plate, if it has one.
    Watch for small springs and pins while removing,
    usually under front screw.
    Take outside and spray with brake parts cleaner.
    Let sit for a minute then spray again. Repete until all the
    spray drips off is clear, then spray with air to remove
    cleaner. Spray with Rem oil, wipe down and reassemble.

After about 40,000 rounds shot through my Taurus 80 .38spl.
    The cylinder wouldn't rotate, the hammer wouldn't come back
    and the trigger wouldn't pull. The drippings of the first spray
    were black. It took 4 sprayings before drippings were clear.
    After reassembling, it worked as good as new.
    Then I pulled up the online owners manual. It said this cleaning
    needs to be done after every 400 to 600 rounds shot through gun.

8. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    You only missed it by a few rounds.
    A friend had a pistol that he was going to sell or trade because the trigger was so hard and it would not chamber a round 1/2 the time. I talked him into letting me look at it and after cleaning and a little deburring it was an awesome pistol I am not much of one for off brands but my wife at 125lbs put 5 shots into a 1 3/4 inch group wit that 40 cal Astra and it was only the 2nd pistol she ever shot. I put 100 rounds through it rapid fire afterword without an issue.
    I soaked it in a sonic cleaner changing the cleaner 3 times and it took 12 hours to clean it and that was after a full can of brake clean. There were parts glued together from dirt and I found later that he was told to use WD 40 to clean it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  9. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the cleaning tips. I pulled it out today and it says "MOD TEX 22 CAL L.R. FIE MIAMI FL." I was able to pull the cylinder out no problem, will try to get it clean in the next few days. I fired it some Sunday, and it seemed to do fine, was even kind of surprised how accurate it was. Its not really that dirty, but my dad never cleaned any of his guns and the hammer is a little squeaky when working it back and forth. Sorry about the junky pics, took em with my phone because I lost the camera again. About all I know is he bought it in about 1983 at OTASKO.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      22.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      18.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      17.2 KB
      Views:
  10. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    FIE was an importer that brought in several different types of guns including the older Taurus revolvers.

11. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :embarassed:YOU CLEAN THEM? :confused2:I thought they were disposable!:wink:

12. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice looking pistol. Now go shoot some varmints?

13. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    After checking at some online sites for new and used guns. After checking out some pawn shops for the same. I came across a High Standard model Camp Gun, 9 shot .22 lr 6 1/2" barrel revolver, with adjustable rear sight in great shape. The pawn shop had 199.99 on the tag, but remarked 169.99. Since I'm a MS resident and the gun is in TN, I carried Flutterby saturday to look at it. The dealer offered it to her with back ground check, cash out the door for 160.00. We took it.
    I did an online search with serial number and found it was manufactured 10/04/1976. Flutterby's birthday is 10/04, WOW.
    The barrel and cylinder looked a little dry and dirty, so a little cleaning and oiling, yep it was dirty.
    I carried it to the gun range sunday, but had to work the 100 yard range. The closes shot I could get was 15 yards. After shooting 3 cyclinders, I had 27 holes in a 4" target. I hope to work the pistol range soon so I can zero it in at 10 yards.
    We went to the reloaders bench to get some ammo. The cheapest they had was 5.99 for 50, and 13.99 for 100 CB's. We went to 3 walmarts, 3 different prices 1.67, 1.87 and had to buy the last box of thunderbolts for 1.97 at the 3rd store. The store that had to ammo for 1.67, had CB's for 6.97 per 100. Flutterby wants to use them on the neighborhood cats that the owners can't obey city codes for animal control.

14. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    That is pretty funny, that you showed this. I have one of those old revolvers. Mine is the Texas Ranger. It has a 4 3/4" barrel. My Step-Dad (R.I.P.) bought it for me YEARS ago when I was younger and use to trap. I used it for dispatching the animals in my traps. I still have the paperwork and box. I believe I even have the old sales receipt. He got it from the local Western-Auto hardware store. I still use it for those pesky critters I trap, that want to get into my garage and garbage.

Attached Files:

15. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I forgot to mention, mine has a spare cylinder that takes .22 Magnum rounds. F.I.E. stands for Firearms Import Export. The pistol is good enough for what I use it for. :wink:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  16. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :big_smile:memories :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile: shot gun shells:big_smile::big_smile:22 shells:big_smile::big_smile:

17. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    mine says "Mod Tex" Looks to be the same as ya'lls. I would like to get a mag cyl for it. Most accurate little pistol Ive had, dispatch squirrels with it. I carry it on my property cuz you never know what critter might be hungry........Comes in handy.

18. m slayton

m slayton New Member

State:
    florida
    i need more info on it any and all writing on the side and and stamp marks nothing shows up when i google 22 revolver tex mod google images first and find your gun then start searching web if ya can post some close up picks if i had to guess its an old colt or look a like colt 9 shot do you knnow if it has a second cylinder so it will shoot 22 lr or swap out cylinders and shoot 22mags ? ny farther inlaw has one and i'll see if by chance it says tex mod on it , prolly not but worth a shot after ya clean and oil that sucker as the fellers mentioned and make sure its unloaded first clean and work all moving parts spin cylinder pull trigger and let the hammer back down with your thumb SOME guns are pron to breaking if dry fired . when all is said n done you should end up with a LIGHT coat of oil all over hope this helps ya gl be safe n wear your eye protection weird events happen and damaged casings tend to split down the side thus spewing hot power at you face LOL i found that one out shooting 270 reloads and with some revolvers... bahhhhh forget this post i forget to read other posts befor i reply :( sorry

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have an old FIE revolver too, shoots just like pointing your finger. i have the mag cylinder in it and it has a lr cylinder too. i think i made a post on mine a while back. there's two types: one has the lever you can slide in front of the hammer at half cock, the others have the cross bar safety, which means if the hammer falls and the trigger is not depressed, the gun will not fire. all of the revolvers i have seen bearing the FIE brand have been italian made, and i believe the tex and texas ranger are as well. great little guns for what they are. with just minimal care, you'll be able to pass it along to your grandkids.