Boudoin

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by randallewis, Sep 29, 2007.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Need boudoin recipe.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What in the world is boudoin? Is it a cujun thang?

3. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Ground pork, pork liver, onions, seasoning, rice, ect. stuffed in a casing. everything cooked of course.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
  5. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Boudin- Pronounced BOO DAN (drop the N) It is rather difficult to make. We get ours locally and its hard to beat when you have some friends come over a box of saltine crackers and beau coup cold beer. There are places that ship it ...if you're interested(I'm not a producer-just consumer) shoot me an e/mail....Mes Amis ----
    Geaux Tigers

6. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    Boudin or rice dressin as we call it is time consuming but not difficult to make. We make a crawfish/jalapeno rice dressing similar to the recipe below but a seafood version with a homemade stock from boiled crawfish, fish bones and veggies. We make fried boudin balls with the dressin and use the rest to stuff chicken and quail. I do not make any in the casings.

Below is a recipe that makes a great tastin boudin. I use more heat from crushed red pepper flakes and cayenne and also some fine chopped celery in my version.

Cajun Boudin Sausage Recipe

1 1/2 lbs Pork Steak
    1/2 lb Very Fresh Pork liver (not frozen), rinsed
    1 Medium Onion, Coarsely chopped
    3 Garlic Cloves
    2 Bay Leaves
    1 Sprig Fresh Thyme
    Water to cover by 1 inch
    Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
    2 Cups Uncooked Long grain Rice
    1 Bunch Green Onions, thinly sliced
    1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Italian Parsley
    Cayenne to taste

Cut the pork steak and liver into 2 inch pieces and place in a large saucepan, along with the onion, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves. Cover with cold water by 1 1/2 inches. Season well with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer, skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Simmer for about 1 hour or until the meat is very tender. Remove the bay leaves, and thyme, then strain the solids from the broth, reserve the broth.
    Grind the meats and cooked onion and garlic while they’re still hot, you could also chop this by hand.

For the Rice:
    In a saucepan with a lid, combine the rice with 3 Cups of the reserved broth. Taste the broth for seasoning, if necessary season with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then down to very low heat and cover. Cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.

When the rice is cooked, combine it with the ground meat mixture, green onions, and parsley. Mix thoroughly and season to taste with Kosher salt, black pepper, and Cayenne.

Stuff into prepared hog casings (instructions on how to link homemade sausage), or form into patties or balls for pan frying. This also makes a great stuffing.

To heat the stuffed Boudin sausages, either poach them in water between 165-185 degrees F, or brush the casings with a little oil and bake in a 400 degree oven until heated through and the skins are crispy. When I poach them, I take the Boudin out of the casings to eat it because they become rubbery.