Bottomline Tournament 480 Fishfinder?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by paleocaver, Apr 30, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Needing a new fishfinder. Wanting the highest watt unit I can afford for less than $200. The Bottomline 480 touts 3200 Watts for about $150. That's much better than the Hummingbird Matrix 17 at about 2000.

What's the story on that brand? Anyone use one and could tell me?

Thanks

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    By the lack of response and the fact that I can't find much on Bottomline brand in a search of this site, I take it it's not a popular brand? I figured the price was a too good to be true thing.

So that takes me back to a problem. I have a $200 budget. Anyone cave give me a recommendation for a Eagle/Lowrance or Hummingbird unit?

Thanks

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The Bottomline 480 has 2000 watts peak-to-peak power according to Cabela's web site. I don't know much about it, but it looks like a pretty low-end sonar to me.

For the money, Eagle seems to be a pretty good deal - they're nearly identical to the Lowrance units and are made in the same factory. The difference is usually only in the amount of output power.

And (being a ham radio operator who knows just a little bit about "power"), I'm not convinced that you or I can tell the difference between 1200 watts peak-to-peak vs 2000 watts peak-to-peak in the images displayed on the screen. "Peak to peak" is a misleading number anyway - what you really care about is the RMS power, which is a true measure of "how much" power the unit has.

From the Bottomline web site:
    So, suppose you're comparing a 1500 watt peak-to-peak depth finder with a 2000 watt peak to peak unit. The real difference in power is just 62 watts (500 watts divided by 8). That's not much - if you double or triple the power between two units, then you've done something. But to add 33%? Not so much.

If it was my money, I'd find the unit with the best *vertical* resolution and the most features that I'd be likely to use (many units have a dozen features nobody will ever really use but they sound great on marketing material), *then* I'd worry about power.

Unfortunately, $200 just won't buy you very much in any case - if you can possibly save up another $200, you have a lot more options.

4. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Thanks Mr. T.

Bass Pro lists the Bottomline 480 at 3200 Watts. Either way, you're right, it looks like a cheap unit. Can't even find a supporting website for it.

Hummingbird has recently come out with the 727. It has 500 Watts RMS and all the feature I'd like (and then some) for about $280. I may go that route.

BTW - the $200 budget was my wife and 6 year-old sons as this is to be a fathers day gift.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    hade a480 bottomline would black out.got rid of it buddy bought a 480 eagle and is still running it, and works good. havent heard anything good on 480 bottomline, seen high end bottomline, 5100 I belive and it worked great.