Bottom line Fishin Buddy help...

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by john103, Feb 26, 2008.

1. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Has anyone actually tried one of these ? My buddy says if you dont want to put holes in your Jon boat to go out and get one of these. I haven;t found any feed back about these. I am just interested in depth while boat is moving and finding fish would be a bonus. Input anyone?

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've got one, it does ok as a depth finder, and will spot a few fish, but it's way off the low end of the scale for fish finding.

Gripes: Uses 3 C batteries, which get low after maybe 4-5 hours. When they do get low it goes crazy and will tell you you are in 25 feet of water when you can touch bottom with an oar.

Positives: It just clamps to the transom, no fuss.

3. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Sounds like to does work as a depth finder though,,
    Is there an on / off switch on it or does it run constantly ?
    Just looking basically for depth finder without drilling holes in my jon boat.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    John,

It has on/off, backlight, etc. The other thing I forgot to mention is that you have to look backwards on the boat to see it. It's not a bad unit for someone who accepts it's limitations as a fish finder.

If I were doing it over I probably would have done a regular depth finder with one of these clamp on transom mounts: http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0000844.shtml Of course you would still have to work out the electrical wiring and the unit mounting.

5. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Gary is right on. I bought the one that holds the fish finder and am real happy with it and it is real easy to change from boat to boat and has worked very well for me.
    Bill

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    By the way I ordered it from Cabelas.

7. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    GaryF, thanks for the link and info, You too Porboy.. That was very helpful information. I 'll look into it.