Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually tried one of these ? My buddy says if you dont want to put holes in your Jon boat to go out and get one of these. I haven;t found any feed back about these. I am just interested in depth while boat is moving and finding fish would be a bonus. Input anyone?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I've got one, it does ok as a depth finder, and will spot a few fish, but it's way off the low end of the scale for fish finding.

Gripes: Uses 3 C batteries, which get low after maybe 4-5 hours. When they do get low it goes crazy and will tell you you are in 25 feet of water when you can touch bottom with an oar.

Positives: It just clamps to the transom, no fuss.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like to does work as a depth finder though,,
Is there an on / off switch on it or does it run constantly ?
Just looking basically for depth finder without drilling holes in my jon boat.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
John,

It has on/off, backlight, etc. The other thing I forgot to mention is that you have to look backwards on the boat to see it. It's not a bad unit for someone who accepts it's limitations as a fish finder.

If I were doing it over I probably would have done a regular depth finder with one of these clamp on transom mounts: http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0000844.shtml Of course you would still have to work out the electrical wiring and the unit mounting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.